1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need plenary ideas for nursery jack and beanstalk letter writing activity

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Spice0012, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi all, basically i'm stuck with quick and simple plenary activity for my nursery children. I'm getting them to mark make letters back to the giant as he has written to them to inform them jack has stolen his coins and left them in nursery.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi all, basically i'm stuck with quick and simple plenary activity for my nursery children. I'm getting them to mark make letters back to the giant as he has written to them to inform them jack has stolen his coins and left them in nursery.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks [​IMG]

3. Would sharing their letters in a "Look at all these fabulous letters" kind of way work?

This sounds very structured for nursery, are you running a typical literacy lesson, or is this an activity the children can choose to do?

4. ditto the previous poster. Are you a teacher of older children working for the first time in the nursery? Remember what nursery chldren need most is language to clarify their own experiences. To talk WITH them not AT them,

'..................to widen their horizons, extend their general knowledge and listen to THEM talk, rather than pursue educational interset eg. in stories. LIsten to the child's comments, help to clarify her ideas and feed her the information SHE asks for'..... Tizard and Hughes 1984.

As relevant today as it was over 20 years ago. Nursery children do not need plenaries. They need PLAY and TALK. Thanks for posting your question as it may help you see new directions and help everyone to be aware of the trends and directions pusing down onto young children and which needs to be countered by the wide and deep acculumated experience regarding young children that existed long before the EYFS and here particularily- also before the LITERACY strategy.

5. Doesn't your head understand Early years?