1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need ideas for teaching yr1's about the wonder of nature

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by kellesalle123, Jan 30, 2016.

1. kellesalle123

kellesalle123 New commenter

Hello all,

I've got a R.E lesson on Monday and the its on the wonder of nature (recognise aspects of the outside world that the children find wonderful). How can I make this a fabulous lesson and keep them engaged at the same time.

I wanted to get some outdoor resources such as plants, sand, stones, bring in oil, water of course and maybe give them worksheets asking them to list reasons why this resource is wonderful (so, e.g. for oil: We can use oil to cook).

I need more help with the activity I can give to them.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kelle

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

So where does this activity link to religion - its science.

3. robert_branaghan

robert_branaghan New commenter

Yeah that's a tricky one! Back when I did RE in school (as a pupil, I don't remember it talking much of nature, more of how God Made everything.....)

Now if it was a long term project (Ignoring RE) then I would think Beansprouts would be awesome, I remember my mum placed rolled up kitchen paper in a clear jar with a bean against the inside of the jar. and we kept it well watered and watched how the root went down and the stalk went up.