1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jamesrobert9699, Mar 19, 2018.

1. jamesrobert9699

jamesrobert9699 New commenter

Didnt want my career to end with having to get unions involved but ‘gentle’ encoragement and advice from Doctor and family has led me to all this.

The short of it all is had a great attendence, results and never kicked up a fuss at my school. One particular SLT became promoted leading to a number of staff in tears every other day and me finally feeling the brunt. Ended up having to take a short period off for stress. When I went back I was too scared to raise the issues blaming it on workload and my ‘supportive’ back to work meetings were with this man. Thought things had improved but alas did not last long.

I can’t go into too many details about case but contacted a union after persuasion as I was ready to resign like they had asked or they would start formal capabilty on me (never had any informal feedback/mention of this before) as “my mental health was obviously effecting me making me cry” that day and have been pleasantly surprised that they said my case is a very clear cut, easy win and they have messed up big time. Is this usual ? I’m scared to take this as my health has deteriorated massively this last week off school. Panic attack’s etc and ashamed to leave the house.

Anyone been in a similiar position ?

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

So many of us have experienced this. There are plenty of lovely schools around so leave ASAP and start a fresh.

How you’re feeling is completely normal in this situation. Don’t feel ashamed. Just put yourself first and look after your health. If you’re not well you won’t have to go back. Sometimes it’s not worth it. xx

thekillers likes this.
  3. jamesrobert9699

jamesrobert9699 New commenter

Should I go through the claim though ? Apparently it’s easy win as they used formal Capablity as a threat and it was not used correctly but rather as a means to get me to resign without any due real course for concern. Etc.

Thank you but I am not put off at the moment at the thought of other schools. I cared so much about the kids and put my heart into this job to help them enjoy school and have a good education.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree. The main thing is to look after yourself. Let your union negotiate an exit providing a reference and then move on.

thekillers likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Has anyone been through this?

As someone who hangs out on these pages quite a bit?

Hundreds and hundreds.

You are being offered a Settlement Agreement then?

Just be a good chap and bug.ger off, will you? You can have a good reference and maybe a couple of months salary just st to ease you along. No offence. Least said the better. Never mind, eh. You did nothing wrong. We certainly did nothing wrong.

That sort of thing?

Is this what we're discussing?

6. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

What have you been offered? The union should be able to facilitate a settlement agreement. You may get your summer term pay, an early release and an agreed reference.