1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help wording an appraisal target - Can you help?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by brewer86, Nov 5, 2017.

1. brewer86

brewer86 New commenter

Hi all,

Through an hilarious series of errors, my PM appraiser and I didn't get a chance to meet before HT and we're struggling to find time to do it now before school is demanding the targets in. As such, I'm trying to write my own with email feedback, but I'm having a little difficulty as its my first time writing targets that are UPS appropriate (read whole department) rather than for my individual teaching that I've been used to as a main scale teacher. Can any one help me with potential wording/evidence/outcomes?

My target (and we both agree that within the confines of the schools needs) is to work on pushing our HPA in KS4. In terms of whole school this is good, because our top end didn't quite do as well as we'd have liked last year in the new GCSEs (I'm maths by the way), and I've picked up my first top set Y10 group that I will (unless the plans change) be taking through to Y11, and we want to obviously push them as hard as we can. I've had foundation in the new GCSE before, and higher groups on the old spec, and I've been teaching KS5 groups for maths and further maths for years, but never top set Y10/11 and definitely not on the new specs, so the target is kind of intended to improve my own teaching, and help with outcomes of the whole department.

In terms of what I've written as my target I have the following:

Implement a range of Teaching and Learning strategies to challenge the brightest KS4 students within the confines of the new GCSE specification. Especially with a focus on those students aiming for a grade 9.

What I'm not sure is how to evidence this, or to word the target better for a whole department POV. I'm sure my evidence needs to be better than "pupil voice" or "x percentage of students to be at x grade/LOP" - but how do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Love it... can't get past it though, * where's the crying with laughter emo, oh there it is. :D:D:D

Sorry. :oops:;)

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

shouldn't be any requirement for there to be mention of x % getting...
    Your initial wording is a good starting point - maybe add in something about creating and sharing resources, offering G&T opportunities to support brightest students etc etc

4. toon_james

toon_james New commenter

I would add something about sharing best practice and supporting other members of staff to achieve the best outcome for students.

I agree with strawbs - you should not be including %'s of students. If the SLT insist on something 'number based' I would use terms like most or the majority.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Could you aim towards having a folder, by the end of the course, of suitable extension resources to help provide extra practice and challenge at the highest level for those pupils.