1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with captions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by daybyday, Jan 28, 2012.

1. A caption is any writing that the child chooses to write to accompany a picture, it doesn't have to be two words and I wouldn't really accept that from any but the very challenged. I would ask all children to think of their own caption and try to represent it in sounds. For the sentence 'I can see a brown cat' some children will just hear a few sounds and will write eg ' I s b ct' this is fine and should be praised. Extend this by asking if they can hear a sound at the end of 'brown' or if they can remember how to represent the 'ee' sound.
    Definitely mention using capital letters and a full stop at the end. Also remind about using finger spaces. Maybe have a big laminated finger prepared so that you can write your own caption and demonstrate how you leave a gap between each word. Good luck for Monday. :)

2. k4b

k4b New commenter

Hi thanks for the response.
    On monday the TA is working with the LA and I am working with the HA. The LA will be getting adult support for them to write 'a cat'. but does the caption ' a cat' have a capital letter and a full stop still thats what i am confused on.

3. It says in my dictionary:
    a title, brief explanation, or comment accompanying an illustration.
    I suggest that when this amounts to a proper sentence then it would need a capital letter and full stop.

4. A caption is not necessarily a sentence. A sentence has a subject and a verb. The sentence "I see a cat." has a subject, 'I'; a verb, 'see'; and an object, 'a cat'. It is a complete sentence and requires a capital letter and full stop. You would be unlikely to use this as a caption, as a caption simply names the content of a picture. 'a cat', is not a sentence as there is no verb, so no capital letter and full stop, but it would be fine as a caption. Sometimes captions are sentences eg 'Here is a ginger cat.' so they do need sentence punctuation. This is my understanding, but I would suggest looking at some captions in books to clarify this. But look in books aimed at adults, as unfortunately, children's book editors don't always follow this convention consistently.

5. So just to clarify, 'a cat' is a caption, and should not have a capital letter and full stop. 'I can see a cat.' is a sentence and needs a capital letter and full stop. It's not a good caption for a picture of a cat though, to be honest. ' This is a cat.' would be better as a caption, and as it is a full sentence would need a capital letter and full stop.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Since 'a cat' is not a sentence, a capital A and full-stop would be wrong.
    It's probably safer to think of 'a cat' as a label, even if caption is correct!

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

If you look in Letters and Sounds document there are many examples of captions for the children to read at different phases - these do not start with a capital letter and end with a full stop (onlt needed for sentences) - isn't the world of grammar and punctuation wonderful???!!!

8. Hi guys, this is my first ever post so would be EXTREMELY grateful for any advice and ideas given.. !

I have an interview next week in a Reception class (been trained in ks1/2 but looove this age range!) and have been asked to deliver a 30min lesson using L/O- To be able to write a caption and to include a success criteria.

Ive had no other extra info and as its hols at moment cant contact them for any extra info.. :(

I would be very grateful for any suggestions and wanted to know that would the WHOLE class be expected to achieve the L/O?

Thanks in advance :)