1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need HELP with 20 minute teaching session on representation of women in media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rahman4media, May 19, 2011.

1. Hello fellow TES'oholics [​IMG]
    I have a job interview for a Media Studies post. I have to do a 20 minute session on representation of women in media.
    I want the students to get involved straight away so I will get them in their pairs or threes, to write down three films which depicts strong female characters.
    The aim of this is to openly and informally talk to them, understand them and create some communication between teacher and student.
    After they mention their films and explain why they think it depicts a strong female character, I will challenge them with some questions, such as do characters like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider (played by Angelina Jolie) relate to women of real life society or are they just for the male gaze? So I'm trying to say that even though times have changed, with women being given more advanced and equal roles, they are still regarded as within the male desire, the condition that they have to have something that the males can be satisfied with. Otherwise, if it isn't, then the women characters are often seen as having bad fates (Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry) or are psychotic (Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct).
    So there is some explanation there.
    I need some more ideas. Perhaps getting the students to do more activities?
    Should I use the smartboard? I often don't like using them as I feel it distracts the student's attention away from the teacher.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hello fellow TES'oholics [​IMG]
    I have a job interview for a Media Studies post. I have to do a 20 minute session on representation of women in media.
    I want the students to get involved straight away so I will get them in their pairs or threes, to write down three films which depicts strong female characters.
    The aim of this is to openly and informally talk to them, understand them and create some communication between teacher and student.
    After they mention their films and explain why they think it depicts a strong female character, I will challenge them with some questions, such as do characters like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider (played by Angelina Jolie) relate to women of real life society or are they just for the male gaze? So I'm trying to say that even though times have changed, with women being given more advanced and equal roles, they are still regarded as within the male desire, the condition that they have to have something that the males can be satisfied with. Otherwise, if it isn't, then the women characters are often seen as having bad fates (Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry) or are psychotic (Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct).
    So there is some explanation there.
    I need some more ideas. Perhaps getting the students to do more activities?
    Should I use the smartboard? I often don't like using them as I feel it distracts the student's attention away from the teacher.
    Thanks in advance.

3. What year group are they? Are you going to show clips of the films? I would assume they probably don't know the films as none are very recent. You might not have time in 20 mins to show lots of clips. Also, have a back up in case your clips/internet access doesn't work I would say. Keep it active on the student side. Maybe analysing some still images?

4. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

HI, I know you're keen on films but why not use magazines such as Heat and OK! to look at celebs and how they are represented as Katie Price is very different in style of representation to someone like Cheryl Cole. You could use magazines such as the older women's weeklies and the steroetypes associated within these. This would allow you to cover the theory on active/passive as well as uses and gratifcations. You could also look at both positive and negative images and effects on their readers - behaviour psychology - (Pavlov's dogs etc as well as Maslow's hierarchy of needs.)

Good luck for the interview.
    Shirley

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Speaking from experience of interview sample lessons going pear-shaped I'd say avoid video clips altogether. The purpose of these lessons is to see how the students learn, not how you teach (as if the two are somehow mutually exclusive). As you only have 20 minutes, even a short video clip with exposition may be seen as too 'teacher led' and not earn any brownie points. The other thing about video clips is you can never be 100% certain the bloody things will actually work on the ICT system. They're best left alone. Keep it low tech and student-centred.