1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help regarding vocabulary displayed in areas of learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by em1981, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I am new to UFS this year and one of the things that we are trying to improve on is the vocabulary in the areas of learning for the children. Can anyone help me and suggest what I can place in these areas that will help the children and not just be there for the sake of it?!
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Hi all
    I am new to UFS this year and one of the things that we are trying to improve on is the vocabulary in the areas of learning for the children. Can anyone help me and suggest what I can place in these areas that will help the children and not just be there for the sake of it?!
    Thanks [​IMG]

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do you mean for the children or for adults?
    Remember the children probably won't be able to read what you put in the areas so you will need to model vocabulary through speaking and listening not through displaying written words.

4. Thanks for your response. One of the things we were asked to improve on in our monitoring visit was the way we displayed vocabulary especially in Maths and English. I am struggling with what to do display wise as I know the children will not be ble to read words. I have been trying to look for ideas for displays that might inspire me! We have CP provision posters for adults in the areas.

5. You've hit on an interesting point. OFSTED were disappointed with our nursery room because there wasn't much in the way of written prompts for the children, eg,"can you make a repeating pattern with the jewels?" What we did have was a picture of a repeating pattern next to the jewel basket. Also a written note with a picture - 2 children can play with the jewels. I pointed out that the children could not read, but this was not accepted as a reason for the decision that it was not a good use of time to produce, laminate and mount the sign (if not stuck up, it would have gone walk about very quickly). I suppose I can see the point that had a sign been there an adult could have modelled reading it, and maybe for a student or helper it would have helped them to think about their interaction with children using the jewels. But, what we did have in abundance was prompts for adults with vocabulary, example questions and ideas for developing children's play and language, in all areas of the room.Obviously, reception is a bit different in that children will be developing more advanced reading skills. However there was no shortage of environmental print, signs and labels in the nursery room, the OFSTED team just seemed hung up on having questions for childrenWe have since put up more questions next to and with resources, but I still wonder about its value in a nursery class.My belief about vocabulary is that you could put up words and questions to support adults playing with the children, but it is important that those adults judge what level of vocabulary the child is ready for. For instance, if the child is EAL they may not be ready for the wonderful open questions we identify and may need very simple phrases and basic nouns and verbs.

6. Whenever I label displays, areas of the rooms etc. I have in mind the level of tricky words, high frequency words and decodable words based on phonics taught so far.
    There is nothing wrong with having things children may need reading to them. I find when I have read a notice or sign to a child they will often stand and read it over after I've gone, and take great delight in reading it to their friends.

7. Yes, this is why I think it has more relevance to reception class. As regards the way vocabulary is displayed I wonder if that is about having explanatory pictures and photographs to go with the vocabulary.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I used to have things like
    How many (picture of a cup) to fill (picture of a jug) ? type questions near the sand and water
    the same with balance scales using simple words and pictures -
    I stick labels on equipment and model the words whenever we use it
    but you need a great deal of modelling