1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help in deciding what to do next.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Phuketmark, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

This could go into any number of different areas on TES such as workplace dilemmas or career advice or similar.
    I am currently on the PGCE course at a secondary school.

Eeek. I now know what i don't want to do and that is to teach secondary in a mainstream school with classes of 25plus kids.
    The constant battles with behaviour, surliness, tardiness and lack of motivation are making my working day unfulfilling. I also question if many teachers in the same environment actually get fulfillment. Many I have asked say they are not fulfilled.

My skill sets and personality lead me to believe that;
    I feel more comfortable with KS2 or KS3 kids.
    I feel much more comfortable with teaching in either small groups or even one on one.
    I am quite attracted to working with 'difficult' students or SEN students.

I'm wondering where to go from here.
    Apply to 'good' grammar type schools?
    Apply to work in F.E.?
    See if I can get some sort of SEN qualification and work in that sphere?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know what I don't want to do, but not really exactly what i DO want to do.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

While on the PGCE can you request some time spent with SEN/EAL or in the behaviour unit at school? Or if you have a 2 week consolidation placement later could you spend time in FE?

If you are open I think there could be lots of possibilities, depending on the area where you live.

agathamorse likes this.