1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help from someone techie, about buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by andrewphipps, Jun 5, 2019.

1. andrewphipps

andrewphipps New commenter

Hi All
    I am a primary supply teacher, a lot of schools I go to now have individual laptops for teachers, so when I walk in they walk out with the laptop. leaving me with an interactive board and no way to use it.
    My question is this, can you guide me toward a suitable laptop for me to use.
    I want it to have;
    windows.
    Microsoft Office, word, excel, powerpoint etc.
    can connect to the internet through sim card and wireless.
    will store my resources and lessons.
    ports for memory sticks and ports for plugging in boards.
    Not expensive!!!!
    Thanks in advance for what may be a case of opening a can of worms.
    Andy Phipps
    P.S. I am 59 dont blow my mind with tech speak.o_O

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Try a secondhand one to see how you go.

EmanuelShadrack and andrewphipps like this.
  3. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I'd be tempted to ask them for a laptop but have a good supply of board markers (but no whiteboard cleaner) in case they refuse. The pupils will probably love being interactive with them...

Seriously though, most 'interactive' boards need their own software for the interactivity part to work otherwise it's just a projector so you could easily be in much the same position of not being able to use them to their fullest even with your own laptop. Most laptops have output capabilities though some will no longer have the older connections. Look for VGA out, HDMI out as these tend to be the most common.

andrewphipps and lilachardy like this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Did you get one in the end?

I've got, ahem, rather a lot of laptops, the vast majority of which were secondhand. I might be able to recommend something.

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

You might find that schools are wary of supply teachers using personal laptops. GDPR and all that. As well as the problem with viruses and the total load of control over what resources you are using with the students (oh wow, sorry, didn’t realise I’d left the original French version of ‘Martyrs’ in the CD drive).

6. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

This public domain document is one used by many schools regarding safe working practices.

https://www.saferrecruitmentconsortium.org/GSWP May 2019 final.pdf

Note that if you take in a means to get unfettered access to the net eg via your phone (ie using it as a wifi hotspot) you will probably breach the school's requirements.
    You may well be required to use (paid for) anti-virus software, too.

A password to the school (teachers') wifi should give you all the access you need.
    You'll need to spend something like £299 if you go for a new one. I wouldn't get ( a cheaper) one with a 32 or 64GB "eMMC" because you're likely to find you fill it quite quickly as time goes by. Which probably means you'll be looking at one with a 1TB hard drive. 4GB of Ram would do.
    You should find a deal with one year of Microsoft 365 (annual subscription :( ) which sorts the software.
    Don't worry about processors, they're all fast enough for office sort of work.
    Check for USB ports - almost all will have enough. There's USB-C now - adapters are available
    Some schools will have HDMI connections to screens/projectors, some VGA. If your laptop doesn't have one or the other you can get a cheap adapter.
    I wouldn't look at Chromebooks, or Macs, for your needs.

DO ask around for a s/h one. Windows 7 onwards would work, but you'd really want someone handy to clear it and reload Windows 7 from scratch.