1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help From All T.A

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by breakrota, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I have a interview soon .The post is for a year 4 or 6 class.I am hoping if you can give me more information on reading strategies, phonisc, ALS, Better Reading, as i have little experience of assisting in literacy lessons.

Thank you soo much

2. There is only one basic reading strategy. That is, decoding the graphemes in the word into the sounds they represent then putting the sounds together (blending) to'get' the word.
    I suggest that you have a look at this web site in regard to helping children struggling with reading
    www.dyslexics.org.uk
    I would also suggest that you google Letters and Sounds and have a look at the guidance for teachers document.
    In upper KS2 no doubt support for reading problems is focussed on 'comprehension', but for most children struggling with reading it is not their 'comprehension' which is lacking but their ability to actually read what the words on the page 'say'.
    Which isn't at all helpful for you, but it is what you will find if you get the job!