1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help for GCSE equivalency test for Maths & English

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Yogitaa, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Yogitaa

Yogitaa New commenter

Hi All,

I have been asked to go through GCSE equivalency test for English and Math’s for ITT.

Could someone please provide me links for previous test? any other helpful related site.

Earlier I was searching for math’s exam and found one with calculator and non-calculator, do we need to write 2 tests?

Sorry about too many questions, just getting bit nervous as not much time left for preparation and I even don't have any idea about these exams.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yogita

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Need to check your use of apostrophes!

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I understand that functional skills is accepted as a level 2 GCSE equivalent.
    That now has two papers, calculator and non-calculator.
    Some adult education centres still run these courses in the evenings - I taught one myself for a while.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/functional-skills

Good luck.

4. Yogitaa

Yogitaa New commenter

Sorry for use of apostrophes, looks like word document has done the trick and I failed to notice it

5. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I thought most courses don't accept functional skills as an equivalent GCSE because functional skills do not offer the same about of breadth and depth that GCSE (or equivalent) tests have.

https://www.equivalencytesting.com is the standard to what many course providers will accept.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I've never heard of the organisation "equivalency testing".
    Functional skills is not equivalent, but the same difficulty as. I apologise for using a misleading word.
    My advice is to talk to the ITT provider that you are going to use and get a list from them of the qualifications they will accept.