1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help for a lesson Improving Writing for Year 1, any ideas?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jplaat, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Dear all,

I have an interview at a great school in London. However I am from The Netherlands and have no clue about the English curriculum. I have read the national curriculum and am kind of informed. But now I have to plan a lesson improving writing and all I know is that they have done a lesson writing questions and writing facts before.

It is only a 30 minute lesson but I am quite lost as to what to do? Any ideas? Maybe punctuation? Or descriptive writing?

Thank you!!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm wondering how you plan to undertake the teaching post, if appointed, if you can't come up with half an hour's lesson without asking someone else. This might sound harsh - but teaching in English schools is very difficult indeed and not to be undertaken by people who are "kind of informed" about the national curriculum and little else.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I can understand that it must be quite daunting for you to plan and deliver a lesson from scratch, if you have not been trained to do this.

Or at least, have not been trained to do this in the way that it is done in England and Wales.

I do not know what is the system in the Netherlands. But in some countries, for Primary and Secondary, there is a book for each subject, and a Teacher's Book that tells you what to do in each lesson.

But we don't have that here for most subjects. Any books are additional to the main course of the meal, which is the individual lesson prepared by the teacher. So planning and preparing lessons takes up a very great deal of time for teachers.

A school running appointment interviews wants to see how well you can do this. In fact, in some schools they sit you down for 30 minutes to plan a lesson that you then deliver to a class.

Here is some advice written for teachers from abroad coming to England and Wales. Some of it may not be relevant to you, but the section on lesson plans will be. Good luck!

Teachers from abroad looking for jobs in England

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. Hello,

Year 1 in the main is capital letters full stops and finger spaces.

Then moving towards conjunctions, and, so, because.

Then adjectives to describe nouns.

You could use speech bubbles for the children to write what they think.

it is not prescriptive. As you have children in the mix and probably a range of age related expectations. E verything comes together such as your modelling and the use of phonics within writing.

An idea to base writing on is to create interest and enthusiasm. An idea would be to have something of interest (that would appeal) wrapped or covered up. You could promote discussion as to what it is then go and write about it. I did this with a giant cushion and we guessed what it could be then wrote, guessed what it felt like then wrote, felt it then wrote what it actually felt like... And so on. This happened over 3to 4 days and at the end we sat on the cushion and he a photo to go with our writing.

You might be able to take something from this. Half an hour is not a long time at all.

Just thought maybe get them to write about their favourite toy and if they finish could draw a picture.

Enjoy the experience at least and smile as I find that helps me I just need to remember it!

Good luck