1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Need help finding an android app please.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, May 11, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Ok, I splashed out on a new phone -a HTC one. [I keep forgetting the letters and calling it a KFC phone, much to the amusement of my husband]
    My son assured me that although it wouldn't come with the feature I want, I would most certainly find an app for it.
    Hmmm So here goes..........
    My old, not so smart, phone had a feature for messages. When a text message came in, it would vibrate and it would make a nice loud sound. I could change the settings so that it would continue to make that nice loud sound, once every minute, til I read the text.
    This is a VITAL feature for me as I often dont' hear the text notification first time, and as I don't use the phone much, it can be quite a time before I pick it up again to look at it.
    Soooo.............
    I would like my new fancy android phone to do the same. But it doesnt. Its not in the settings. Son insists there will be an app for it. I don't know how or where to look. [only got the phone this evening]
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks muchly
    impis

2. Firstly, I would have thought the phone would be able to do that.

Secondly ... on your phone should be a link to "Marketplace" ... that is a searchable

At least, that is how I found APPs when I had my HTC

3. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks, RF.
    If this phone does do that, I haven't found the setting to change yet. [​IMG] I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

i would guess this is under the phone settings, not the apps.

I'd have a look under soemthing like the phone setting or message options.

*says elfie with is 1985 mobile, which comes with a battery in a brief case*

[​IMG]

5. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have a HTC and haven't found this setting either.

If you go to the 'all apps' on your phone then look for Market.

Once in Market, select the magnifying glass in the top corner and search for 'Easy Reminder'. It's a free app that says you can set up your phone to keep notifying you of texts and calls. I haven't got this myself (although I might download it now) but it does have good reviews.

6. An APP called

Volume Control

7. Another called

Sound Manager

8. impis

impis New commenter

Easy Reminder works fine, thanks.

Now - for my next question.
    I know how to get and install apps. I can start apps.
    How do you stop them?
    Do they stop on their own when you navigate away from them, or do they carry on in the background? [and if they do - how do you stop that?]
    Thanks in advance.
    imp

9. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks - my research via google has come up with the same information.
    No, thanks. What does it do? I get enough exercise moving the mouse around, and doing the odd night of zumba!

10. impis

impis New commenter

Another question:
    What is the difference between a widget and an app?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Any good?
    [​IMG]

12. impis

impis New commenter

When it comes to men, Blazer, I prefer mine to be warm blooded and breathing! [preferably wealthy and good looking as well]

13. A widget is part of an app (I Think!!) Many apps come with a widget which you can set to occupy part of your homepage- for example, you may have a widget displaying news feeds, or face book or a calendar that you can access without having to open the app- rather than just a a link which is what you have with widget-less apps.
    Cardiotrainer is a free app logs exercise so before you go for a walk or a run, start it recording and it will time, measure your speed, distance and plot a map using GPS! It's great if you like that sort of thing.

14. impis

impis New commenter

I like the sound of that..........

Well, most of it anyway................

Not so keen on the 'going for a walk' part. Would it work for going round the shops?