1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing new spec for low ability students?

Discussion in 'History' started by bethan630, Jun 14, 2017.

1. bethan630

bethan630 New commenter

Hi all,
    I teach in a school for pupils who have had behavioural problems. I am about to start my second year and need to choose which spec I will be teaching. I did AQA short course last year, and the students did struggle. I do not have as long to teach them as I would like due to low attendance.
    I am hoping for some advice if anyone teaching low-ability students. They do enjoy history and I have the benefit of small classes. But they struggle with exams and huge amounts of content (which I know is going to be in every spec). I have looked at AQA because there are only 2 exams but the style of questions will put them right off. I have been looking at Edexcel as I feel the content and exam style will benefit them.
    If anyone is in a similar situation or has any advice I would be very grateful!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good luck - and I do mean that - but is it really appropriate to try and teach courses which aren't (perhaps) suitable for your students because of the amount of factual detail and high level analytical skills needed? (Remember History was 'ramped up' by Gove to make it more 'challenging').

Perhaps better just to teach a course of your one devising suitable for your students aimed at their interests and ignore external certification?