1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

need expert advice on maths sow

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by skausar1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. skausar1

skausar1 New commenter

Can anyone best advise on which textbooks, support materials, assessment resources I should consider for the teaching of maths across KS3 (year 7,8 and 9). I have been given the opportunity of raising attainment and overhauling the current SOW and to start anew at a newly opened school. Please advise from your experiences any tried and tested methods? I am confused as to which SOW to buy into and which textbooks etc.

2. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

You are better asking in the Maths forum. If I was to start fresh, I would write my own Sow as I have my own vision. I would use the STP books plus all the resources that I have collected over the year. But it has to be suitable for the intake of your school. It also needs a clear vision all the way through ks3 4 and 5. It is no use have some brilliant ideas for ks3 then you teach to exam in ks4 and 5

3. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

4. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

And yes, do try asking in the mathematics forum.

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

CGP textbooks. £5 a head, 3 of them from Year 7 to Year 9. If you have a bright intake you will need extension work for the top end. Electronic copies and answers make teaching easy.