1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need clarification on the clarification KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rayndrop88, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Rayndrop88

Rayndrop88 New commenter

I think the new clarification has made some things clearer (although the fact that it was needed says it all I think) There's just a couple of things that I'm still not sure about and being one form entry it would be really great if any moderators or year 2 teacher could clear things up.

I'm still not clear exactly what independent actually entails. The document says-

If writing evidence has been redrafted by the pupil, this is acceptable as independent work. The redrafted work may be in response to self, peer, or group evaluation, or after discussion with the teacher.

Pupils can also independently use classroom resources such as dictionaries, thesauruses, word banks, classroom displays, books or websites.

It would not be independent if the work was modelled or heavily scaffolded, copied or paraphrased or where the teacher has directed the pupil to change specific words or punctuation.

Before the document came out we decided that a piece of work was independent if the child has written it independently and not as part of a guided write. I then mark it by highlighting the spelling mistakes they should know, the child then uses a dictionary or work bank to correct these spellings.
    Under the new guidelines is this me directing them too much?

They would of course have written their piece of work after whole class planning, individual planning, whole class modelling of using the plan to write a piece of work. However would this now count as being modelled or heavily scaffolded? I personally consider this to be teaching.

Also out of interest, is anyone using the assessment grids that we have been told we don't have to use? If not what are you using?

Thank you.

2. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I think there needs to be an element of common sense applied. No moderator is going to watch you teach and them write so it comes down to professionalism which pieces of writing you think evidence what the children can do independently. Don't rely on the DfE for clarification about everything.

If you have highlighted spellings and they have corrected them, then you have directed them to those words.

If you have modelled as part of a guided write and they have taken your ideas and copied them/changed very little then you know it's not their own. If they've taken the gist of what you're learning about and written their own piece in the same style, then I would say they're learning and being independent.

Strike a balance between a 'cold' write as it used to be when writing was one of the tests, and too much teacher input. In your classroom, with your pupils, only you can make that decision.

Rayndrop88 likes this.
  3. lottie04lots

lottie04lots New commenter

I'm so annoyed at how this has been handled. We have done exactly the same as you and have been marking their work, pointing out the spelling mistakes but not changing them for them. So leaving them to correct it themselves using dictionaries. We assumed that this would be acceptable for 6 and 7 year old children. After the clarification came out we have come to the conclusion that all of the writing we considered to be independent cannot now be counted.
    The fact that the clarification has been needed and the fact that it has come so late makes me so angry. Not even going to mention the ridiculous nonsense about exclamation marks!

Rayndrop88 likes this.
  4. Benbamboo

It has been handled in the same cack-handed way any education policy change is handled. Sadly successive governments never seem to learn and continue to disappoint.

Rayndrop88 likes this.
  5. cupcake91

cupcake91 New commenter

We are in the same boat with spellings. Used to correct them for them so moved to simply underlining and have the children correct using dictionaries/word mats. I don't understand how 6 and 7 year old children are meant to know what they have spelt wrong otherwise they'd have spelt it right in the first place.

Rayndrop88 likes this.
  6. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I am a year 6 teacher with exactly the same problem. My children write independently for 30-40 minutes every week with no input, guidance at all. I then mark and assess them. When they get their books back they use a different colour to edit, improve, correct anything I have directed them to. I agree that this is teaching. When did this become NOT independent. The moderators can clearly see the difference between want they wrote independently before it was marked. Apparently, after meeting on Friday, this is new this year to moderation. Once we as teachers have marked, directed, highlighted anything it is NOT classed as independent. I was advised on a Friday to now do independent pieces and assess these. Doesn't matter that I have been assessing every piece of work since September against curriculum objectives. Nicky Morgan has published a reply to some NUT members and stated that teachers do not have to assess individual pieces of work against interim framework but should look for examples throughout the year. What is going on? What a joke!
    Question and exclamation - almost at expected for me!

Rayndrop88 likes this.
  7. Benbamboo

What they write can still be assessed as independent. Any changes they make in their editing might not be usable for assessment if you have directed them to change certain words or add certain punctuation etc, but their original writing would be fine. No-one is expecting you to not mark their writing as you would before, nor for them to edit it as they would do normally. You just have to apply your own professionalism to say "they could use relative clauses without my direction but all their fronted adverbials were added after I had intervened so they couldn't do that independently"

Nicky Morgan is a first class plonker. All the advice has been that this is an end of year assessment and shouldn't be used throughout the year. She is contradicting other advice from her department.

8. Rayndrop88

Rayndrop88 New commenter

Cupcake91 I agree with you entirely. At 6 and 7 finding words that I've underlined in the dictionary and changing the spelling is pretty independent. My children simply don't have the ability to spot they have spelt a word incorrectly, look it up and correct it without any input from me.
    When I asked mine to try this they crossed out words they had spelt correctly then wrote them again in exactly the same way in a different colour because they knew that's what I would be looking for.

9. cupcake91

cupcake91 New commenter

If writing evidence has been redrafted by the pupil, this is acceptable as independent work.
    The redrafted work may be in response to self, peer, or group evaluation, or after discussion with the teacher.

This is what confuses me. So I am allowed to verbally tell them what to edit, just not write it in their book?

10. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

benbamboo

The problem is we are all being told different things. I was told that the minute you mark their work, write sp above a word for example, then it is not independent. I agree with what you are saying. I am an experienced teacher of 20 years so do know how to mark and assess but I have never felt so disheartened, annoyed and down right confused. I also went through moderation two years ago and work across the year was counted. I had marked each piece of work in their books with bullet points of evidence and in discussion the moderators said that this was an excellent way to show what the children could do. So assessing through the year was correct then. If it is now only to be assessed from the next few weeks of work, then they may as well do the old style writing test.

11. Benbamboo

It is a huge problem, even the moderators don't seem to have consistency in what they are being told or what they are passing on.

12. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Rayndrop88 - where is the above clarification you posted? Could you post the link please? I would be very grateful.

I am confused what independent means too. I will sometimes model the first couple of sentences to start them off and the rest of the work is completely independent. They do not copy my initial couple of sentences because my IWB board is on a blank page when they start. Is this classed as not independent? Are you supposed to discuss ideas briefly with the children and let them write with no modelling at all on the board?

On another point, do teachers still do cold writes in Year 2? Having read the criteria for the interim framework with children writing after discussion with the teacher, I thought cold writes were not as vital as they once were. My school insists cold writes are done every week in Year 2. It would be good to hear what other schools expect in this year group.

13. Rayndrop88

Rayndrop88 New commenter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-2-teacher-assessment-and-moderation-guidance

Enjoy!