1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need clarification on governor's role ... please

Discussion in 'Governors' started by geek84, Jun 30, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks

I have been a governor of my local secondary school since September 2010. I am also on their Finance Committee.

However, up until now, I have not been shown the school accounts, despite repeated requests.
    Sometimes, the excuse is that they will find a suitable person who can sit with me to explain it all and sometimes they say 'be prepared there is a lot to take in'.
    I am not an accountant, but studying some accounting qualifications, so I know a bit about debits and credits.
    What is the reason they are not involving me further? Do you think that they think I am not qualified enough to comment on the accounts or do you think the school has got something to hide!
    Thanks in advance for your respoonse.

2. staxis

staxis New commenter

I would expect finance governors to see the schools accounts and be involved in approving the budget. I would certainly excpect some governors to have sight of the accounts.

3. Presumably the finance committee discusses the school budget on a regular basis and the whole GB approves the annual budget? I can't quite see how this can be done without sight of the figures. The school, presumably, has to produce accounting figures for the LA, unless it is an Academy etc.
    If it were me, I would insist that the matter is made an agenda item at the next Finance Committee meeting and have it minuted that members of the committee should be given a full set of end of year accounts as well as the detailed budget. Also have a deadline put in for this action to be undertaken.

4. I am on the finance committee of my school. Every meeting the bursar gives a report on the budget. We are also sent a copy of all relevant documentation. The full governors meeting is shown the set of end of year accounts once a year. Any questions that need answering are answered immediately by the bursar. The finance committee chair has to sign off the accounts and reports to the full governing body. Hope that helps.