1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need business cover on my car insurance as a PGCE student??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon331, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Wondering if anyone might know about this. I recently got a place on a Primary PGCE starting in September and just got a load of paperwork to fill in for it like my CRB form, health questionnaire etc. There was also a form that I had to fill in about my car, saying that I have to give them the originals and photocopies for my insurance, MOT and driving licence. It also said that my insurance must show that I'm covered for business use. But to be honest, I'm pretty confused by it. Why do I need business cover? My insurance covers me for social, domestic and commuting... surely all I'll be doing is commuting? I would never have pupils in my car and so I'm not using it for business, just to get around. It makes no sense to me to be honest! Anyone know if this is true and if so, why I have to have business cover?

Thanks

Caroline

2. Wondering if anyone might know about this. I recently got a place on a Primary PGCE starting in September and just got a load of paperwork to fill in for it like my CRB form, health questionnaire etc. There was also a form that I had to fill in about my car, saying that I have to give them the originals and photocopies for my insurance, MOT and driving licence. It also said that my insurance must show that I'm covered for business use. But to be honest, I'm pretty confused by it. Why do I need business cover? My insurance covers me for social, domestic and commuting... surely all I'll be doing is commuting? I would never have pupils in my car and so I'm not using it for business, just to get around. It makes no sense to me to be honest! Anyone know if this is true and if so, why I have to have business cover?

Thanks

Caroline

3. Issues like this are personal to each individual university. Your best option is to call them and ask why they have this requirment. Posters on her will only be able to speculate and cannot give you a definitive answers to this issue.

When I did my PGCE this year we were simply asked if we could drive and if we had a car. We weren't asked to send in any proof or have a specific level of car insurance.

4. Best to speak to your insurance company. Mine (Direct Line) covers me for unlimited business use at no extra charge.Better safe than sorry- insurance is only expensive when you don't have to use it!
    OtC

5. Have emailed them, did it last week before I posted here but the person in charge of it all was away until today so hopefully I'll get a reply in the next couple of days. I'm not covered for business use and it'll put my premium up and cause me an admin charge if I have to change it so I'm hoping I won't need to!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I had it as I used to take pupils to swimming however unless you are doing something like this you shouldn't need it.
    There also shouldn't be a charge as you are 'upgrading' your policy as opposed to changing anything (co-op didn't make me pay an admin fee) It was only £18 for the additional cover for the year so don't worry too much if they do require you to have it xx

7. You shouldn't need to have business cover as this is intended for people who travel to different places as part of their job such as to meetings in different towns. I got asked about insurance aswell when I got my place on my PGCE, but only had to confirm that I was insured to take passengers for lift share.

8. I emailed and got this response...

Hi Caroline

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you do need to have Business Use insurance. The University of Worcester is classed as your place of work, & we are then sending you out on Business & therefore that is why you need insurance cover. I have copied below our contingent liability statement which hopefully will explain:

Contingent Liability ? Indemnity to the Policyholder in respect of their legal liability to third parties arising out of the use by employees and students of vehicles not the property of nor provided by the policyholder on the policyholders business. This extension is to protect the Insured only and does not extend to indemnify the employee or student. All employees authorised to use their own vehicles on company business should check that their own Motor Policy adequately covers their business use and extends to indemnify their employer or student.

If you require any further information, or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

If it's my place of work I'd like to be paid and not have to pay them!

9. I don't think I get any financial support from Canterbury Christ Church for travelling! Doing Psychology i've had my bursary cut aswell so haven't quite worked out how I'm going to pay at least £4000 rent, eat and fill up my car with a £4000 loan.

10. That's why Ive had to pick a uni near my parents and move home for the year

11. Hi Caroline86
    I didn't realise that some Unis paid mileage!!! I wonder whether mine does? Am checking hastily......
    eannie