1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need book ideas for good year one readers.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LadySol, Dec 10, 2011.

1. In my school we have a couple of 5 year-old boys in year 1 that are already approaching the end of our reading scheme. We have lots of free reader books in our school, they can read the words fine, but the books are not aimed at their age group. I've got some Roald Dahl, Jeremy Strong, Dick King Smith and Enid Blyton books at home I can take in for them. I've been round the local charity shops and I'm getting some Dinosaur Cove and Astrosaur books of Amazon. I can think of lots of books and series that the key stage two like to read, but not all of them are suitable for year 1 children.
    Does anyone have any ideas of any other books, authors or series I can buy to stock a bookcase in my classroom for our youngest free readers?

2. In my school we have a couple of 5 year-old boys in year 1 that are already approaching the end of our reading scheme. We have lots of free reader books in our school, they can read the words fine, but the books are not aimed at their age group. I've got some Roald Dahl, Jeremy Strong, Dick King Smith and Enid Blyton books at home I can take in for them. I've been round the local charity shops and I'm getting some Dinosaur Cove and Astrosaur books of Amazon. I can think of lots of books and series that the key stage two like to read, but not all of them are suitable for year 1 children.
    Does anyone have any ideas of any other books, authors or series I can buy to stock a bookcase in my classroom for our youngest free readers?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'd agree with the ones you've mentioned but also add Horrid Henry and Jacqueline Wilson (maybe. I like her but I know others might disagree....!)

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Naughty Little Sister series (for the girls?)
    Little Animal Ark / Animal Ark ?
    Edward Ardizzone (author)
    Michael Bond
    AA Milne?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Horrid Henry has been a huge hit with my 5 year old (girl, but not into fairies/animal stories). There are colour ones with one story in, as well as B&W paperbacks with four stories - that helped her bridge the gap to B&W. She also likes Magic Treehouse, and Ahlberg's Gaskitt family.

6. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I would second the Magic Treehouse series