1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need an opinion! Thank you.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PotatoNose, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Hello everybody!

I need an opinion on a matter that is really bugging me.

In the school where I work, a nursery nurse has been appointed unqualified teacher and given a Year1 class to teach next year, Is this allowed? She does not have a degree, just a qualification as a nursery nurse., As a mother I would not want my child to be taught by a nursery nurse no matter how good she can be in this role.

I hope someone can shed a light on this,

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Is it an academy?

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If it is an ordinary state school, then this is not allowed. If it is an academy, free school or independent school, then they can appoint whoever they like.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

many schools are supposed asking TA's to teach .......so why not a Nursery.Its just another sign of the silliness of the policies of the Government and schools.

In my opinion i would think it wrong......but then again I am but a mere supply teacher.

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I was appointed as an unqualified yr1 teacher, this was only allowed as I was at the end of my 18 month PGCE. There was some guidance from the local LEA about appointing unqualified teachers but only referred to those at the end of their PGCE.

6. Thank you for your reply. It is still an ordinary state school, soon to become an academy! :)

7. Sorry for the late reply! It is transitioning to an academy, at the moment it is still a normal primary!

8. Thanks for replying! I know they do, I am a TA myself, but still I do believe it is not fair. This lady refused to do a HLTA course because, her own words, "I am too thick!". I would not mind the odd teaching here and there, but not being given a classroom and be the teacher for the whole year! :)

9. Thank you, Sarah, for your reply. At least you have a degree, she has not, so I do not know how she is going to be able to perform as a teacher! I tell you, I am so disappointment with the system for allowing this to happen! :)