1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need an objective for a literacy lesson!

Discussion in 'English' started by lonecone, Oct 2, 2018.

1. lonecone

lonecone New commenter

Hi! I have an interview on Friday with a year 2 class that has a literacy focus.

I had an interview previously with a year 1 class where I used 'Norman the slug with the silly shell' for writing character descriptions (the LO was I can use adjectives to describe a character).

I want to use the same book with this year 2 class. To give an idea of the story Norman is a slug, he needs/finds a shell which is a donut, the bird whisks him away because he wants to eat the donut shell. I was going to get the children to pretend to be Norman and write a postcard to the bird detailing how mad they are at the bird for taking the donut shell, how much they want their shell back etc. with the lesson ending with them 'posting' the postcards in an envelope and thinking up sentences that the bird might respond with.

I have taught a similar lesson a few times with children and am happy with the lesson itself but I am struggling with pinpointing my learning objective. Should it be 'I can write a postcard' with the success criteria being planning sentences out loud, using adjectives etc or should it be something more like 'I can use great vocabulary' 'I can use adjectives in my writing'

I have been out of teaching for two years and just need to bounce some ideas off of all you great teachers!

Hopefully have explained myself enough. Thanks in advance!!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

A learning objective will tighten the focus and flow of your lesson. It feels like you're saying something unholy by admitting you do the lesson 'for fun' rather than with a focus on specific learning, but anyway...

In this lesson I can potentially see (writing and non-writing) objectives such as:
    • taking a character's perspective / understanding the viewpoint of a character
    • using adjectives
    • writing full sentences with capital letters and full stops (or whatever other punctuation you would involve)
    • writing compound sentences
    I think 'writing a postcard' is too broad, but I'm not a primary teacher (in common with most people on this particular form), so I'm not sure. Has the interviewer not given you an actual objective or any guidance whatsoever?

You might have better advice from the Primary board than English, but maybe some others who know more than I can pitch in.

Good luck!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always advise adapting a lesson you know has worked in the past for an interview and you're quite right that the LO needs to be the focus of what you decide to do.
    roamingteacher's suggestions are good ideas, but I'd take a look at the particular yr2 objectives in the NC and remember that the children have only just moved up from year 1.

pepper5 likes this.