1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need Advise Please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by spinning_wheel, May 25, 2019.

1. spinning_wheel

spinning_wheel New commenter

I’ve been offered a permanent contract at my current school starting this sept however recently I’ve found out that I’m pregnant.

I need some advice - when do I tell the head? I will be 12 weeks during the summer holidays. If I told the head soon - will I still be offered the permanent contract? Do I need to wait until I’ve started the new contract in Sept? I’m not sure what to do.

Sickness, headaches and tiredness have kicked in already and I’m not sure how I will be able to manage at work for the remainder of the summer term, especially if I’m trying to keep my pregnancy under wraps for now. Any tips and advice on this would be welcome!

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

You don’t have to tell your employer until the 15th week before your due date. Get your contract and everything sorted out and don’t tell them until you want to. After You start in September.xx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. spinning_wheel

spinning_wheel New commenter

Thank you :) Does the ‘telling your employer until the 15th week before due date’ rule apply to academies too?

I had complications very early on in my first pregnancy and I had to tell my head at 8 weeks - I was on a permanent contract then so maternity pay wasn’t an issue.

I’m worried that I might have the same issues again and then have to reveal I’m pregnant and then to be told I won’t be made permanent!

Also, I blame baby brain for my spelling of advice in my thread title

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you've been offered and accepted the permanent contract, they can't renege on that because you're pregnant - discrimination on grounds of maternity is not allowed. In fact, they'd have to have an exceedingly good reason for changing their minds in any way, if they don't want to lay themselves open to a discrimination case. If they've only mentioned but not actually put anything in writing about the permanent contract, chase that up - you don't have to mention the pregnancy to do that - it's entirely reasonable to want something in writing by this point, as otherwise you'd need to be applying for other jobs for September.

You can choose when to tell your employer about the pregnancy - and the head should smile and say congratulations even if underneath they're thinking "bother, now we're going to have to find maternity cover just when we thought we had everything sorted". If you are struggling, then you may need to tell someone sooner rather than later, so that any adjustments can be made. I found the sickness stayed away while I was in the classroom - I think adrenaline helps more than any ginger biscuit.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Check with the academy policy book. They should have something online or in your contract.

I believe the 15 week rule is across the bored whether your a bus driver or a teacher. You do not need to your employer until that time comes. Have a look on the gov website. It’s got a lot of good info about maternity. Or maternity matters website. Are you part of a union? If not definitely become a member.xxx

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

Congratulations! The 15 weeks before your due date applies regardless of where you work. It's the law. However, your maternity rights won't kick in until you've made them aware so, up until you tell them, you can't expect time off for antenatal appointments or for changes to be made to your role if necessary.

Legally, they can't take the contract offered away just because you're pregnant and in an ideal world women wouldn't suffer pregnancy discrimination. However, I think we're all aware that it is not an ideal world. Get your signature on the dotted line and then tell them. They might be a bit annoyed but it's tough, people get pregnant.

skellig1182 likes this.