1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Shabas, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Looking for an answer - can anyone help? I am in a privileged position to have 2 offers of 2 excellent schools for my son's secondary schooling. One is fee paying and local, the other is a state school (one of the top in the country) and 1 hour bus ride away. What to do ...? Part of me thinks how crazy to pay for an education when my son can get the same for free elsewhere. But then there is the 7 o'clock bus ride every morning!
    HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP
    I need to decide by Monday

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What other Added Value points would you be getting, from either school?
    You need to jot them down on the back of an envelope . . .
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. v12

v12

I send both my children to the private school in which I work.
    It might be argued that I can ill-afford it, but despite the local schools being really quite good in this area, and with the distinct prospect of a good secondary school in a few years, these are the reasons:
    Smaller classes
    Pride in their very smart and traditional uniform
    Expectations of ALL other parents regarding their children
    100% dedicated staff who are allowed to teach without any discipline problems
    An amazing range of after-school clubs run with real enthusiasm by staff
    Frequent concerts and productions and trips and jolly nice activities (some of which are simply not allowed in state schools - such as conkers)
    Beautiful grounds
    Safe environment, far away from the madding crowd!

Oh, and I could go on.........

4. I would echo v12 completely. The range of opportunities for a broad education is so much more in Indy schools by and large. These days a lot of success comes to those who have an edge, and that often comes with being able to take part in the extracurr activities. Also think of this idea. Many people end up choosing careers that they get interested in through clubs and hobbies rather than straight academic subjects.
    Even if we had had the best state schools in the country on our doorstep, there was never any doubt that we would go private - even before I became a teacher (mature entry) and before I could secure a job in an Indy- despite it meaning we had to make sacrifices to pay the fees.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

One hour each way sounds a lot... That would be the only hesitation I'd have. Otherwise, despite the fact I work for a private school, if my kids could get the same environment and level of education (and it sounds like this is your situation) then I'd send them to a state school. What does your kid think? Would any of his friends go to that state school? Would he be ready to travel for that long, even in winter?
    Of course, you could always give it a go, then move him to the school closer if it doesn't work - adapting to a private school will always be easier than the other way round. I do think you need to look at your finances carefully - why pay more if you're going to get pretty much the same education and environment somewhere else?

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You really need to explore in detail if the "free" option really does offer as much. For instance, does the return bus allow for a full range of after-school activities? Does the high-performing state school offer the wide range of facilities and activities that you would expect to find in a good independent school (debating societies, minority sports, language clubs, DoE, etc). It might well do, but it could equally have concentrated on building-up its place in the league tables through clever selection of academic courses.
    Two hours spent on the bus is likely to be two wasted hours for a lot of pupils - and that's a significant part of their day. If it were my son, I'd want to be sure that the alternative is a high achieving HMC school, and not some proprietorial indie.