1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice - returning to old employer

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Shamiya26, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Shamiya26

Shamiya26 New commenter

Hello all...

I'm relatively new teacher - been teaching for 3 years. I left my old employer due to the head not providing a part time position after requesting this after my maternity leave. Long story short, I ended up leaving to join a new school who did provide a part time position. However the new school wasn't the right school for me and ended up leaving in April 19. My old school very recently posted for a vacancy for position in my old department. I applied again but got back the response that they are going to internally cover the position for now and will look again later next year.

How could I convince my old employer to consider me again for the position?

Thanks

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

The only way you can convince them is by applying again when they advertise and demonstrating you have the right skill set for what they want.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

The fact that they know you, you applied for the post and were available to take it up, but they chose not to offer it to you does not auger well.
    Despite what they have told you, you have no guarantee that this will actually happen and you could spend the year waiting for an advert which never materialises.
    Going back, in my experience, is often not the best thing to do. I would move on.

DexterDexter, agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  4. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

You need to move on and realise you've left, they don't want you back and if you're not happy in your new job, apply elsewhere. I think you realise you probably shouldn't have left your school (from what you say and the fact you want to go back) but you have to live by decisions, even wrong ones or decisions made in haste or disappointment with people.

agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

As other posters have said, apply when the vacancy is re-advertised and if you have the skill sets that they are looking for then you will be hired- though, having said that- why are they covering the position internally? This suggests to me that either budgets have been cut or the calibre of candidate’s is not great and they are going to wait to re-advertise, which if the latter, they are not interested in re-hiring you.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Is the position full time and do you now want full time?

You can request part time working once a year and they have to consider it even if they say no. As you left because you wanted part time, if you have now applied for a full time post they might be concerned that you could get the job and then apply for part time again, as is your right. If they want a full time teacher this could have put them off.

That’s the problem with old workplaces sometimes - they do know you! So if you definitely want full time I would make that clear to them so that if that was their worry, you have addressed it.