1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on PGCE international

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mo_mo_alsa, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mo_mo_alsa

mo_mo_alsa New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I am currently working in HK and teach IGCSE in a local school. But I am looking forward to work in TW or Bangkok as a international school teacher. Will the PGCE(IDL) from university of Sunderland help me on the application? I checked the job requirement and it said PGCE is required. Will these international schools take PGCE (IDL) same as PGCE?

Thanks a lot!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This course will give you the PGCE qualification, but not QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). Some international schools will want both. Others will be satisfied with just the PGCE.

agathamorse and mo_mo_alsa like this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Do schools usually offer a job to the teacher who has the best qualifications? Well, yes, if all the other things are equal. On the other hand, good references from your previous school can also make a big difference.

mo_mo_alsa likes this.
  4. mo_mo_alsa

mo_mo_alsa New commenter

Thank you!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Your qualifications, your references and how you come over at the interview: these are all important. Which one is the most important? I just do not know the answer to that one, mo_mo_alsa.

I have always followed the advice of the great and good Harry Deelmanof Search Associates, who said that it is a good idea to prepare a good teaching portfolio. This is a folder that contains anything and everything you can think of that will support your application: photos of you with smiling children, teaching resources you have designed, programmes of plays you have directed, articles you have had published, letters from grateful parents etc., etc. For a SKYPE interview, an online portolio is much better, of course.

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Yes. Bangkok schools will. Even the top 3.