1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice! False allegation made against me.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Honeycoops, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Honeycoops

Honeycoops New commenter

Hi all,

I’m urgently in need of advice. I have heard from another student, that two students who I teach, has made an allegation against me. I have discussed this with two members of staff who have said that they haven’t heard anything as of yet, however, the lesson that it “happened” was only on Monday this week.

To cut a long story short, I had a 6th form class who I’ve recently taken over from another teacher. In this class, there are a mixture of students, including quiet students who don’t talk much during the lesson. Whilst I was helping students on another table, one of the students whom I was helping made a rude comment about the size of another teacher in the school, to which I closed off the conversation and redirected it back to their work. The student then asked if I would give them a reward if they went up to the teacher and asked “when the baby is due”, to which I replied that they wouldn’t dare go up to the teacher as they know how much trouble they would get in. That was the end of the conversation.

I’ve now heard from another student in the same year who is not in the same class that two students in that class have said that I told a student to “go up to the teacher and say she is fat for a reward”, completely twisting my words! The funny thing is that those students were not part of the conversation, and were sitting on another table. Not one of the students made a comment or raised any concerns during that lesson. I’ve also heard that those same students have told another colleague, who has asked them to write statements.

I’m very worried that this will turn into something sour. There are no sound cameras and I am worried that SLT will believe the students over me. I am an NQT and can’t afford for something like this to happen. Could this mean I may lose my job?

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Catjellycat

Catjellycat New commenter

I would try not to panic and do nothing until asked.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would not panic at all.

These things happen and I can see no reason why SLT would believe these students rather than your version, should you be required to give it.

What i would suggest you do is write down your own account of the incident, sign and date it, and then file it away for future reference should it ever be needed.

It probably won't, although I appreciate you want closure on the matter.

At your next lesson with this class, make it clear, without finger-pointing, that no derogatory comments about other members of staff will be allowed in your lessons.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My biggest concern is the amount of gossiping that seems to go on in your school.
    Heard this, heard that, discussed with two members of staff, etc.
    Who told you that a member of staff asked them to make statements and what is their role in the school?
    Once pupils are asked to write down their nonsense, they often remember it didn't happen quite the way they said and decide to drop the whole thing. This could well be what actually occurred.

What 'reward' would sixth formers want? If they are seriously rude enough to think about such things, a reward would neither encourage them nor stop them.

It happened a week ago. If there was going to be comeback, you'd have heard before now.
    If you are seriously worried, then go and speak to your mentor and tell them what you've posted here.
    You'll be fine.

5. whelk

whelk New commenter

“A lie is half way round the world before the truth has got its boots on.”
    Best say nothing to anyone. The problem is gossip. Gossip is enhanced and added to. One incident quickly appears to be many.
    Have a word with the union.

6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Read Nomad's advice to cover your back. A motto given to me during a difficult professional episode was: If it aint written down, it aint happened. Write it all down, just in case.

Should things start to get silly then this record will be important.

7. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Loose lips sink ships.

There seem to be a lot of them in your school.

Plus Sixth Formers behaving like this? Seriously? Sounds like there's a serious issue with expectations of them and their role in the school.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Why on earth would anyone experienced in dealing with young people ever believe such a load of nonsense?

As mischief-making goes it isn't even credible mischief! The kids are dumb. Anyone who gave it an ounce of credence is just as (frankly) thick.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You know how over time you get to feel allegiance and commonality with your preferred teacher friends in the same place?
    Well you'll find they actually roughly fall into two types; those who have your interests at heart,and those who, upon hearing your concerns about an allegation will make sure that within 5 minutes the supposed existence of that allegation is right at the front of the minds of a large percent of the school population.
    If somebody fed me this prudence, then I'd take it back into school the next day, find those two colleagues, and "casually mention" that I've asked about it and actually it's nothing, not sure why I was so worried.
    Mendacious but strategic.

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  10. Tess9876

Tess9876 New commenter

If it's two students then there's the possibility that they'll actually end up contadicting each other's made up events?
    Rooting for you!

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Nothing will come of this, probably. However, probably isnt certainly and there are schools out there that would believe two hormonally charged teenagers over an adult on such matters.
    What beggars belief is the immaturity of the two sixth formers, I would expect better from Year 7. In a way it is a pity if nothing comes from it as the ideal situation might be for SLT to enquire in a genuinely supportive way what it is all about and come down like a ton of bricks on the offenders. But least said soonest mended and if nothing comes of it, move on but professionally quote a generic aspect of the behaviour policy to the offenders.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm beginning to wonder if the entire thing beggars belief... It isn't credible is it? Really?

13. Honeycoops

Honeycoops New commenter

Thank you for all of your comments, there’s been some very helpful advice. They were going to investigate but have instead decided to put a behavioural related target on my next NQT action plan, the students in question had made a number of student allegations and will be given a talking to.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Glad to hear it's had a sensible outcome. I really hope these two students are given much more than "a talking to". They deserve a serious b*llocking, frankly, especially as they have form. Is there any chance you will have an apology? No, thought not...
    I hope this hasn't knocked your confidence too much. Chin up!

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A little in the way of common sense has prevailed, I suppose.

A target for you, eh? Make sure it's SMART.

Emphasise the Realistic and Achievable elements! As for the little g1ts? (Sorry, STUDENTS!) I hope they do get a right royal blocking!

16. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

To be honest, I doubt anything will come of it. If you haven't done so already, flag this up with your head of department and the students' head of year in an email.

I personally think there's a wider disciplinary issue. Two students were being extremely disrespectful towards a member of staff, something I feel they should both be sanctioned for. They have then gone and twisted your words and misrepresented them to other students, again, I feel that they should be punished for this too.

17. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I would genuinely laugh at the absurdity and forget about it a few seconds later.

Unless you have a history of mismanaging relationships with students this will be laughed out and but taken seriously at all.