1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice about induction period

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Vikki27, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm basically asking advice and to see if anyone knows how I should speak to about this. I accepted a Maternity Cover position in KS1 and started at the beginning of November. I had an observation in the 5 weeks I taught leading up to Christmas but was told I couldn't start my NQT properly because it wasn't a full term I was teaching for. I have now completed my first term induction for the Spring term but have just been told me contract will not be extended past the end of June - meaning my Summer term won't be a full term either. My head doesn't think the Summer term will count towards induction again because it's not a full term. However, it's only 3 weeks short of a full term and as I worked 5 weeks up until Christmas doesn't that count for anything? It seems really unfair. I'll have done all the necessary planning and assessments etc and done parents evenings and reports. Does anyone know where I stand on this and whether it's worth taking further?
    Thankyou in advance.

2. Hi,
    I'm basically asking advice and to see if anyone knows how I should speak to about this. I accepted a Maternity Cover position in KS1 and started at the beginning of November. I had an observation in the 5 weeks I taught leading up to Christmas but was told I couldn't start my NQT properly because it wasn't a full term I was teaching for. I have now completed my first term induction for the Spring term but have just been told me contract will not be extended past the end of June - meaning my Summer term won't be a full term either. My head doesn't think the Summer term will count towards induction again because it's not a full term. However, it's only 3 weeks short of a full term and as I worked 5 weeks up until Christmas doesn't that count for anything? It seems really unfair. I'll have done all the necessary planning and assessments etc and done parents evenings and reports. Does anyone know where I stand on this and whether it's worth taking further?
    Thankyou in advance.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your school was wrong not to start your Induction in November.
    Induction terms do not have to correlate with school terms. The school simply has to know from the outset of the employment that you will be working for them for at least a term's length, from any point in one school term until at least the same point in the next school term.
    You should have completed Induction term 1 at February half term and Induction term 2 would then be completed at the May half term. You'd leave the school in June/July with 2 Induction terms done instead of just one.
    get in touch with the LA NQT Advisor and find out when you were registered as an NQT on Induction.