1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a little help people, please :)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by k1mblee, Jun 14, 2016.

1. k1mblee

k1mblee New commenter

Hi, i'm a qualified Teaching Assistant and after 4 long years on not working. I have an interview yeah! It's for a teaching assistant to work with students with autism.

I have done some voluntary work and some supply so I still have some recent experience. However as part of the interview I have come prepared to talk about a piece of work or initiative I completed with a child.

I have some examples however most of the work I have done is in their files or taken home with them. I'm struggling as I've never had to do this before. I don't know whether to talk about repetitive work I've done with students and got them to progress? Or a group of students providing a range of materials in order for each child to learn?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'd be looking at special interventions. Something out of left field. Something unexpected. Something radical or unusual.

I have long experience with ASD students and they are all individuals and present differently. You can often find common strands. But not always. So you do have to come up with things designed specifically for one individual.

Maybe a way you've eased a child through a tricky time or helped a child deal with stress. Overcoming barriers. Overcoming reluctance. Maybe you engaged with a child by noticing they loved rabbits and linked work to rabbits? Something like that. Inventive. Innovative. Something that shows you're flexible and versatile and can think on your feet and be responsive to the individual.

What have you done like this? What cues have you picked up on that led you to a good outcome for a pupil?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not much help this time, but for the future, ensure you keep a portfolio of evidence of interventions/ examples of progress and keep it up-to-date.

All you can do for this one is talkf, giving examples of when you xxxxx and how that helped a student make progress.