1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a job for the summer...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by snowflakesfalling, Jan 23, 2016.

1. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

I'm going to need a job this summer. Any suggestions of what I could do?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Paid or voluntary?

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What sort of job? When? Where are you? What are your qualifications? How much do you need to earn?

Teaching English to foreign students at summer school is something that worked well for me in the past.

4. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Not meaning to be judgemental but if you are a teacher you really need to try to have a break for at least part of the holidays. If you are able to do some work before the end of term, and are a Secondary school teacher what about exam marking? You can earn £1000+ and at least you would get a break over the summer.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know a TA who used to work as a Nanny for two children during the school holidays. She enjoyed it and kept the job for several years until she was no longer required. I agree, though, that if you are a teacher you should get a break.

6. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

What are your hobbies? Is there something that could incorporate something you enjoy? For example, if you are a keen gardener, could you get a job in a garden centre?

Edited to say I agree about the need for a rest, though.
    However, needs must when the devil vomits in your underpants, as Blackadder would say.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

You do need to be qualified with CELTA or TESOL nowadays.

8. snowflakesfalling

I'm after paid work. I'm currently doing a maternity leave and its a strong possibility the lady I am covering for will be back in July - leaving me without an income for the summer.
    I'm willing to do anything that will pay the bills.
    A break would be lovely but I have rent to pay...

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Oh yes, I knew that, I am actually TESOL trained, it's so long since I did it I forgot :oops:

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My brother used to work in the summer at a random university, looking after kids (some of them foreign) when they weren't in class.
    They did things like take them to the pool, organise a sing-song, have a disco. He didn't have to do night shifts, and he didn't have to do day-time in the week.

It paid well... are you willing to be away from home?

11. snowflakesfalling

I am willing to go away - prefer not tbh...

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Jobs are starting to be advertised by the Nat Trust, for Summer temp jobs as ''visitor welcome assistants,'' etc

I know it's difficult to get these types of jobs unless you have previously been a volunteer, but it may be worth a look.

Best of luck though. I know what it's like to be skint!

Edit: I noticed a few of these on the Jobcentre Plus website, believe it or not.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

When I first started work as a teacher, on supply, I used to register with office temping agencies for the summer break. I usually got something for a few weeks, just to keep things ticking over. It's likely that you have enough office type IT skills to deal with most things.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I used to do that. May consider doing it when I retire, especially in the winter!