1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a game to teach rhyming couplets.........

Discussion in 'English' started by whitleyjen, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am training to be a music teacher, and during next term have to teach a unit of work on 'Jingles'. Part of the first lesson is about rhyming couplets and making sure the kids know what they are and understand them. I am having trouble trying to think of a way to do it that is fun but doesn't take a whole lesson, and I wondered if anyone out there in the English world had any suggestions?!
    Thanks
    Jen

2. If you can get hold of a copy of Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes, you'll see that they are all written in couplets. A good game is to read the first line of every couplet and half of the next one, and get the children to work out the ending. For example, from Little Red Riding Hood when Wolf is at the door: 'The sharp white teeth, the horrid grin,/And Wolfie said, ``May I (The kids shout: Come in?)' Poor Grandmamma was terrified/ ``He's going to eat me up!'' (she cried) .Hope I've explained the idea well enough!

3. You have indeed! Thats great thank you, shall give that a try :)