1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a change from the UK. Advice much appreciated.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ticatica, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Will try to keep this brief. I work hard at my job and (on most days) love it. However I need a change. I want to experience a new culture, new friends, a new work environment and new challenges, both good and bad. I'd like the change to be a financially beneficial one however it isn't the main reason I want a job abroad. I'm 28, secondary trained with 2 years experience and hope to bring my boyfriend (non teaching) with me. I want to try further afield than Europe.
    Question: where have you been that you would recommend / advise to avoid?
    Thank you in advance for those of you who take the time to reply.

2. Hi all,
    Will try to keep this brief. I work hard at my job and (on most days) love it. However I need a change. I want to experience a new culture, new friends, a new work environment and new challenges, both good and bad. I'd like the change to be a financially beneficial one however it isn't the main reason I want a job abroad. I'm 28, secondary trained with 2 years experience and hope to bring my boyfriend (non teaching) with me. I want to try further afield than Europe.
    Question: where have you been that you would recommend / advise to avoid?
    Thank you in advance for those of you who take the time to reply.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

What is your subject(s)?

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I put a reply to this thread yesterday. Where did it go?

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

At 28 with no kids, the world is your oyster. You really need to narrow it down to at least a continent as many threads have run on this topic. Perhaps if you think of somewhere appealing and search through the threads, you could come back with some more specific questions?
    Also, eslcafe.com has threads on life in various countries although these will be based on EFL teachers' experiences, which generally means a lower salary. If they say you can survive in a country on one salary as a couple, chances are you (as an MFL teacher) would be more than comfortable.
    How exciting for you!

6. I would say go for it. However, your non-teaching partner may not be able to find work. This may put a starin on your relationship- I saw this happen a lot in Bangkok where I worked. So if possible, I'd check out the work situation for your boyfriend in the countries you are interested in.At my school, some non-teaching partners managed to find admin jobs or sports coaching at the school.

7. Hi,
    Thank you for your replies.
    I've spent some time in Dubai (holiday) and Kuwait (non-holiday) so I guess the middle east would be my preference.
    My concerns would be where offers a decent package? Would my partner and I have to be married? If I stay longer longer than 2/3 years, and want to have children, are these countries family friendly? Am I entitled to maternity leave?
    Is it possible to build a network of friends easily, not just expats but natives as well?
    Forgive me if I'm asking obvious/ignorant questions however it's difficult to know what to ask!