1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a boot up the 'Arris

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Mar 17, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Why do you have to go back?
    You don't sound ready. No offence intended.

2. Whilst I agree to a certain extent with previous poster, I also know from experience that often the thinking about these things is worse than the reality. It may be that going back gives you the boost you need. And if it isn't, you can always take more time off.

I'm trying to be devil's advocate here... what's the harm in TRYING to go back?

Good luck x

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is it a phased return?

4. Was the depression directly work-related?

5. Hiya - no phased return, and not solely work related, but largely. Dipsue, I know, I'm sure I'm just being stupid, and I don't want to be! The trouble with going back just 'to see' is that I tried that a couple of weeks ago, and just couldn't do it - I don't want to go about making a show of myself and being a weirdo nor do I want to be away from work any longer than strictly necessary, I'm just so confused and scrambled.Sorry.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You don't sound ready to go back yet. Sorry.

7. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Hi there Yapyap,
    How about asking to be signed off for another 3 weeks until Easter and then you would also have the holidays.
    That would give you 5 weeks which will take some pressure off you for a while.
    On your return, perhaps ask for a phased return.
    The next half term is quite short and broken up with a Easter bank holiday, May day and the royal wedding.

Are you getting some treatment for how you are feeling as your eventual return to work day will not get any less nerve racking than it feels now?
    I am worried from your post that you do not seem well enough to go back yet.
    I'm off work at the moment recovering from an operation and feel very tired.Teaching by its nature is very draining mentally as well as physically and if you are unwell, it will be hard for you to do the job properly.
    I have found most doctors to be sympathetic to people needing time off - do you have a doctor who you feel will listen to your worries?
    I would always advise people to put their health first as when you return to work you are usually expected to perform your duties as normal and there is often little slack.
    Better to give yourself the time to feel more able to cope than to go back too early and go under again because you still aren't well.
    No need to feel guilty, just make sure you take care of yourself x