1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need a bit of reassurance...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by goosey200, Nov 17, 2011.

1. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Four years ago I worked in South East Asis for two years, teaching Primary. When I returned to the UK I was really looking forward to getting back into teaching here and having my own class again. BUT two years later I'm still supply teaching (which I HATE!) with not a whiff of a job. I been so miserable that I decided it was now a choice of go abroad again or leaving the teaching world completely. I've been offered a job teaching in Singapore starting in January.
    I'm more excited about the prospect than I've been about anything in the last year or so but also a bit nervous. I AM doing the right thing aren't I?! I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance and reminders of how good living abroad really is!! Thank you

2. Singapore is a fantastic location, a buzzy city with some great restaurants and plenty to do- lots of sport, increasingly cultural events too- and you're well placed for weekend trips around the region. Langkawi, Thailand, Borneo... I taught at the school you're going to about 10 years ago, and know someone who was there very recently. The children are lovely and colleagues great. Management can be a little eccentric, you'll wonder when you read some of the clauses in your contract! Makes for a close knit and supportive staff though. Take as many resources as you can with you. The school pays reliably and helps find decent accommodation. Enjoy Singapore!