1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Need 5 English Fiction books to evaluate for PGCE!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blobcarp, Jun 9, 2011.

1. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

Hi, starting PGCE at Lpool Hope in September and have to 'read and produce a record and brief evaluation of five fiction books written for children of varying primary school ages' that i have to take to my first english session at uni. Just wondered if anyone out there has any ideas of good ones from each school year that would be good to evaluate?!

Thanks in advance.

2. Why not jsut go to your local library and have a look in the children's fiction section? if you chose something that wasn't Handa's Surprise, it would probably make a nice change for the tutors....!

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Yes, go to the library or a local bookshop and ask staff what popular choices are for the different age ranges. Then choose some of their suggestions. Or just anything that jumps out at you!

4. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

Yes, will do that, thank you!

5. I would recommend anything by Michael Morpurgo.Fab for upper key stage 2, Jaqueline Wilson is another favourite and my personal favourite is Journey to the river sea by Eva Ibbotson (sp?)

Nick Sharrat is great for younger kids books (Eat your peas!)
    Little Mouse's big book of fears by Emily Gravett is another that i came across recently and brilliant for sharing with younger children..(i shared with year 2 and they loved it).
    When 'evaluating' just keep it simple. What the book is about, rough age group, what kind of vocabulary it has, wether it has long chapters, pictures, simple patterns, repeated lines, any underlying themes (eg. family reltionships, world war 2, making good choices etc.)
    As someone has already said just go and sit in the library for an hour and you will see how many brilliant books are out there!

6. Rubbish spelling and no punctuatio! oh dear[​IMG]...

7. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

I won't judge you for it Sarah! Thanks very much though, that's a great help.

8. try night of the gargoyles , flotsam - wolves in the wall - picture books
    Michael morpurgo - Kasper prince of cats / Kensukes Kingdom - Kids love these especialyy y5/6

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Visit the library, but put a ban on Murpurgo and Dahl, and see what they come up with....

10. You can use picture books aimed at younger readers with older children, specially if you use them as examples of what you want the children to write for younger children in the school - gives them a real purpose and they enjoy sharing their work. Have done that with "Who's in the Loo?" and some of the simple (usually well illustrated) story books - scan in the pictures they have drawn, add the writing and make your own book. (The children loved seeing their very own books - add blurb, publisher etc. - takes a bit of time). It might be a different reason for chosing the book rather than the obvious.
    You might think of something like Benjy's Ghost (sp?) which deals with issues of loss and changing family structures - the book was not necessarily completely realistic but provides an opportunity to discuss issues that may be affecting some of the children in class.
    Hope you don't mind me suggesting a different way of looking at the review.

11. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

Thank you for those suggestions, I think Tuesday will be my library day!

abmiss; all opinions very much welcome thanks!

12. I'd go for some picture books for upper KS2, too. There are some fantastic books around with little or no text that can lead to all sorts of wonderful writing...
    Tuesday by David Wiesner is great, as is anything by Shaun Tan.

13. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

Thank you to you all for your suggestions. I ended up choosing:

Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears and Eat Your Peas for KS1

My Brother Bernadette and The Chicken Gave It To Me for lower KS2

Kasper Prince of Cats for upper KS2

14. Can I recommend Clockwork by Phillip Pullman, have just read it to my y6 and they loved it! Also now on with Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. Both books are recommended by the Power of Reading Project by CLPE. Teaching Literacy through complete works of fiction.

15. Ooh just read your final reply. Try the books anyway, well worth adding to your collection!