1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neck rash

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ellesabe, Jan 16, 2011.

1. My LO is 7 weeks old and becoming a real chubster! I noticed today that she has a bit of a rash under her many chins (!) and I'm not sure what I can do about it. Obviously we try to keep it clean and dry as much as possible but it's really difficult! Do you think I can put sudocrem on it?

2. vaseline is the best thing - happened to lots of my friend's babies. I think some of them left 'dribble cloth' bibs on and some of them had very dribbly babies! If you put some vaseline on when it is dry, it helps keep the water off it.

3. Evening ellesabe!
    We had the same problem with our little chubster too! I used to apply the magical 'sudocreme' after cleaning every morning/evening and it would clear up within a day or 2. We would just have to keep an eye on it, and as soon as we noticed it getting a little bit red we would put the sudocreme on. You do have to be careful though as I know our LO's got so red and sore once that we thought it might be infected (nasty smell too- yuk!) if this is the case trip to docs necessary!
    They do grow out of it though - our LO now 7 months and we haven't had any redness for a couple of months now.
    Hope this helps!
    Emilee

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I remember my youngest getting very sore under her neck and I felt dreadful about it. It just seemed to have happened overnight. Sudocrem definitely healed it and vaseline kept it at bay.

5. We used sudocreme too. Gave it a good dry after the bath and then put the sudo on. It cleared up in a couple of days. I felt really guilty when I spotted it.

Must try the Vaseline too!

6. handrail

handrail New commenter

My LO is 4 months and has the same. My HV said to use sudocreme and vaseline too. My son's has turned into a fungal infection and spread to under his arm, doctor has given us daktacort cream to use. Am gonna post later as his skin is in a bit of a mess lately x

7. Yeah I think our LO nearly got a fungal infection from it - it's very easy to miss as you're not really expecting that to happen. I also found I had to watch behind the ears as well. In the end we used sudocreme as a preventative, after having cleaned and dried thoroughly.

8. Okay so I tried the sudocreme last night and she SCREEEEEAMED!!! I felt really bad :(

9. Poor love I bet it's really sore for her :- (
    Maybe trip to docs might be best?
    Although I do remember my LO howling when we tried to get under the neck - she didn't like us messing with her. In the end we got the system down to a 'T', where OH distracted her to make her put her head back and expose her neck, and I would apply the cream - had to be quick though!