1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Necessity of GCSE requirements.Bureaucratic nightmare

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gollum616, May 20, 2011.

  1. Ok I Hold a MPhys In Physics and I wish to retrain as a Physics Teacher do a PGCE.
    The Entry requirements for My Degree required that I held GCSE grades C or above in Maths and English Language as well as the right A-level points. I could not have gained entry through UCAS without showing this.
    I no longer have my GCSE certificates. (Passed them in 1992), My School is no longer open (Now a housing estate) my LEA (local education authority) can not tell me what Examining Board my GCSE were with.
    The same University that I gained my Degree with, will not accept me onto a PGCE course without me showing that I hold GCSE grades in English and Maths.
    Reason given "TDA requires that all applicants have this qualification"
    there are only 2 solutions
    1) to apply to every examining board at £35 a time to search to my lost certificates (there are 14 of them)
    2) Go back to "school" and resit GCSE maths and English
    Utterly ridiculous bureaucratic nonsense

  2. That is a right pain in the bum. Try AQA, Edexcel & OCR first. They're apparently the most common, hopefully it will have been one of those three. Have you spoken to an admissions tutor rather than an admin person?
  3. Join the club. That's exactly what I had to do. Try AQA, OCR and Edexcel to start as your certificates are probably going to be there somewhere. If I remember correctly, they return your cash if they do not have your certificate. I wouldn't worry about the 35 pounds per exam board. Won't you be getting a 9,000 pounds bursary?
  4. How did you complete the GTTR application without knowing which exam boards they were with? When I applied I had to put all of that information in.
    OCR, Edexcel and AQA swallowed up almost all of the early 90's exam boards, so those along with the WJEC are probably the best way to go.
    When I thought I had lost my certificates I got hold of as many old school friends on Facebook as I could and asked them if they had their certificates, and one of them came straight back to me and told me which exam boards they were all with, luckily I then found mine a month or so later so I didn't have to pay the fees!
  5. I know it is frustrating, but you have to understand that seeing certified evidence of the GCSEs is a legal requirement. Entry to your degree may have required these grades etc, but they were not legally required. A university decides it's own admissions criteria except in the case of criteria that are statutory. This is why the university must see original certificates or an official statement from the exam board. Apply to all the boards with your full name, the name of your school and the year that you took the exams. You should only be charged if the board actually has the records and produces a certified letter. If the university cannot verify and show that it has done so (many will photocy the Cerys and letters) then should it be audited by the TDA or DFE/OfSTED then it could have it's accreditation removed and funding withdrawn.
  6. I had a similar issue , I put a message out on facebook to old school friends to ask what exam boards maths and science were. Got lots of replies from people who kept their certificates safer than I did. Saved lots of serach fees.
  7. From the TDA website

    <table><tr><th>Qualifications</th><th>Grades needed</th></tr>
    <td>A GCSE (or standard equivalent) in English</td>
    <td>Grade C</td></tr>
    <td>A GCSE (or standard equivalent) in Mathematics</td>
    <td>Grade C</td></tr></table> This is govermental policy to create a minimum set standard for Maths and English.
    I hold a Mathematical degree, a 2.1, at a Masters level. I also have found my A-level certificates, where I have a grade A in both Maths and English (also not acceptable)
    Explain, how my qualification does not meet the required standard.

  8. Because you HAVE to have your GCSE, like it or not, that's the rules. I moved from one secondary school to a different school for 6th form, I didn't have to prove my GCSEs for my A Level choices. I also never had to show my certificates at University. Just because you have higher qualifications, that doesn't negate the fact that you HAVE to have your GCSE Maths and English and that the University HAS to see them and take copies. If you can't prove that you have your GCSE Maths and English then you don't meet those requirements. Rules are rules unfortunately and as James said, it's a legal requirement that the University see them and take copies of them.
  9. Incorrect, a university can offer equivalence tests for those Secondary candidates who do not have the desired qualification at GCSE.
    So it is possible to be tested in Maths and English and found to have the required Knowledge and be accepted onto a PGCE without having the GCSE in Maths or English.
    So it is possible to met the requirements without having that particular qualification.
    From my qualifications do I have a level of attainment equal or greater than a GCSE grade C in Mathematics and in English?

  10. Stop asking us. Write to your provider and ask them. Nobody will change the rules for you, and you might thank the people who tried to help you by telling you that only writing to OCR, AQA and Edexcel will be required. Why have you not said thank you?
  11. It says 'or standard equivalent' not or greater. Your A Level and degree are not standard equivalents to GCSE, the rules are rules, you're going to just have to accept that.

    You're misunderstanding there. You're a UK applicant, so those equivalency tests have absolutely nothing to do with you or your application. You can't sit that just because you can't find your certificates - to be fair, that's not really the Universitys fault or problem. They're for international candidates who have a 'standard equivalent' from another country and they need to check that it matches the GCSE standard. It's not for those who haven't done their GCSE or can't find certificates. It is NOT possible to not have the GCSE grades unless you're from outside of the UK and have done an equivalent exam in your country.
  12. Mararnril...

    You're my new internet hero.

  13. If you stated on your application that you thought you did have an English qualification, but you now find that you don't you must declare this. Even if the college has made a mistake and offered a place in error, you would not be entitled to be recommended for QTS, even if you met all the standards and passed all the exams, and if, at a later date it transpired that you gained QTS illegally then it would be revoked and if you were in a job it would be grounds for instant dismissal.
    Your provider will be able to tell you exactly what they will accept as an equivalent but generally IELTS level 7.0 is normally considered as equivalent to GCSE English Grade A* - C - but providers do not have to accept this and can require a higher level.
    Your provider will also advise uyou on equivalency examinations they will accept and which providers they recommend or will automatically accept.
    Now that you are in possession of the knowledge that your qualification does not meet the legal minimum requyired you must declare this. To not do so would be considered as unprofessional and misrepresentation.
  14. hummi7883

    hummi7883 New commenter

    thanks James
    been really worried (specially when i gave such a nice interview..)
    ..Will contact them soon....
    U have always been of great help!!

Share This Page