1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nearly out !

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Chirpy1, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Just a few more weeks and I am done :). 29 school days to be precise.

Don't get me wrong, if you're just entering teaching you'll love it. For a few years at least. For me I had a gut feeling of 'it's not for me'. But I ignored it and kept bashing that square peg into a round hole. I know some people get off on learning walks, book scrutinies and the like, well I don't.

The NQTs coming in today are far more advanced than I am or ever was and I won't compete. They're amazing. It takes a special kind of person to teach in schools. I'm no longer that special person.
    This summer I am taking time out and finding the real me. I've lots of skills and stuff. I miss my husband.
    So, I have a stash of cash and a little job to tide me over until I find something on par with my expectations.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

How good to hear a positive story about leaving teaching - rather than a "forced out by bullying/exhaustion/misery" story.
    I am sure you are a special person, just not a teaching person.
    Good luck.

3. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Oh I love teaching just not in a school. As I have discovered, there are other ways to teach x

4. install

install Star commenter

Congrats! I love teaching - but not the unpaid hours or the pay :cool:

agathamorse and Chirpy1 like this.
  5. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Exactly. Fresh start from September no planning over Summer. I've signed up for a few useful and accredited online courses so I can say ''Study Leave". But I'm counting down the days.

6. roman_eagle

roman_eagle New commenter

can i nosy at what courses you are doing? i need an 'out' too!

7. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

I'm doing a book keeping one for starting my own business and a modern language one.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

Congratulations!

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just a normal sane person!

10. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Thank you. I am very sane. It's just dragging this half term x

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. physicsfairy

physicsfairy New commenter

Congratulations! I too am leaving teaching at the end of this term, this term is dragging! I've a background in programming and with my teaching experience I have landed a job as an Instructional designer, so I will be designing and making the e-learning resources for internal training at a large international company. I will be starting in August.

If people are serious about getting out of teaching, the e-learning route could well prove to be right up your street, there are a lot of educational technology companies, both established and start up, that like the teaching experience as they know you'll know the target market, have a look at the various "bootcamps" you can do in coding, most are based in London, but there are others around the country.

Mrsmumbles and Chirpy1 like this.
  12. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

I went straight into teaching. So I am having to build up a skill base which is daunting at 41. But I am determined to succeed and have the drive. @physicsfairy I have PM'D you.

thekillers1 likes this.
  13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck on the other side!:)

Chirpy1 likes this.
  14. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Thank you. I think the worse thing when planning to leave teaching is the ridiculously long notice period that you have to give. If moving to another a school I get it. Also for the continuity for thetchildren. For some people the idea of putting their notice in with no job to go to is nerve wracking. No employer is going to wait for 7 weeks. So this is one plan. Hand your notice in. Make sure you have saved enough money. Find a part time job while end of August. Then start looking. It's a pain but once out you'll not look back.

15. Mrsmumbles

Is it really hard to learn coding?

16. TonyAllen123456

TonyAllen123456 New commenter

Well done Chirpy, good luck. I am only 5 years in but already forming my exit plan as I do not intend to put up with the working conditions past 55 (another 10 stretch to do!). Still loving teaching for now but I am realistic that eventually it will get me physically or mentally (assuming I don't fall on a mine en route & get pushed). I am sure you will love the freedom, imagine the holidays you can buy at half the price and not being ill by October!

geordiepetal likes this.
  17. physicsfairy

Yes and No, you have to enjoy it, if you like solving problems then you'll probably enjoy it. My degree (physics) involved a fair bit of coding and I used to enjoy it, took it up again as a hobby. I'd recommend www.freecodecamp.com to give you an insight and to see if you would enjoy it.

pepper5 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Oh dear. I hate Maths. It hates me, really. I stop at arithmetic and fractions.

19. physicsfairy

Haha! It’s not so much maths problems, more logic problems, although maths skills can help theyre not essential.

20. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

Congratulations chirpy1 (very appropriate username :)). All the best for your life away from the classroom!
    physicsfairy - thanks for the link to the coding site - always had in the back of my mind that I'd like to have a go at coding, so I'm going to sign up - looks like it may keep my brain from atrophying (I'm so tired at the moment that I'm not sure that is the word I intended!)
    Nearly the summer folks!:D:D