1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nearly half-term and still quiet

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Zsoka888, Oct 17, 2017.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I have no idea what Polyanna is but let's run with it hahaha.

Also... I wasn't being negative about it... go for it, send in letters, cv's and posters if you like (Haha!)... I was just sharing MY EXPERIENCE.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I think I was being referred to as being Pollyanna.

A pollyanna is someone whom is eternally optimistic even when the world is caving around them. I had to lookmjt up on Google. LOL.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Hahaha oh right!!! Thanks for clarifying that. :)

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

:)

My pleasure.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

What we need to accept is that supply teaching is classed as casual work. It's not a career, in the broadest sense of the word. Work is sporadic at the best of times. As others have said, continued cuts have left schools in huge deficit. The money's not there. You have to have other sources of income.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Nearmiss

Well said and I agree with it all.

The main reason I have kept with supply for so long is that if I work two and a half days per week that will be the same if I worked the same in an office for five days and with more hours.

The Government has squandered millions on various projects and ways which I won't go into here, and that is why schools don't have the resources they need. £200 per day sounds like a !of for a supply teacher, but it isn't in the scheme of things and it also keeps that person in work.

I only have a few more years of doing this, but really feel sorry for people who are looking at years ahead trying to bring in enough cash from whatever source to pay bills.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  7. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Yep, still quiet. Im in my final year of teaching and work in two primary schools. For me, the biggest change has been the use of HTLA'S in covering classes. I'm still managing two days a week on average, which im fairly happy with, but yes it is quieter than normal.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. timson6

timson6 New commenter

Still quiet here - only two days last half term. Supply teachers here have also been squeezed out by HTLA's. Reduced budgets mean that schools have limited choices now about what to spend their resources on. I wonder how much longer supply teaching will be viable as a means of earning a living wage - more a method of topping up other sources of income with the odd bit of supply

pepper5 likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

You need an alternative, additional source of income to survive as a day2day Supply teacher these days. Combined with very low outgoings. Mortgage? Children? Forget it. Do something else.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. humpty

humpty New commenter

I'm now thinking that if I can't secure much supply or a permanent teaching post I will have to look at doing something else which isn't what I wanted to to do. What other work do people have? Admin? I only want a part time job to pay bills etc.

11. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

Ah, I've thrown in the towel and started work as 1-2-1 support for children excluded from school. The pay is shocking and it's only term time but it'll do for now until I find something better/more secure I'd go back to full time but I just can't hack it any more. Good luck everyone.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi humpty

In the past, I have worked as a receptionist and office administrator through temping agencies, but the pay around here is very bad at £7.50 an hour but if they are feeling generous you might get £8.50.

I would rather take my chances to get two to three days a week which I have done which is the same money for working longer hours in an office for five days.

13. humpty

humpty New commenter

Thanks pepper5. Hopefully the supply will pick up.

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Younare welcome humpty. Let us know if you get any responses from contacting schools directly.

15. Abrowne89

Abrowne89 New commenter

This is the first time I've done supply and I've already found it very up and down.

The beginning of the year was very limited in terms of work offered and I took on a lot of TA work. I now have a regular Wednesday teaching booked and probably work 3-4 days per week (although I'm available 5 days most weeks) mostly teaching but still some TA work. I really thought I'd be fully booked and working every day, but reality is still a lot of being sat at home twiddling thumbs watching the phone!

I'm glad I've got to experience it, and I can see how it suits some people (parents etc) but supply is not for me at this time. Luckily I've secured a job for January!

It's interesting to hear other people's supply experiences.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

That's the nature of supply Abrown89, up and down; when you look at it we get work when something "happens", when teachers get sick, overstressed, accidents occur, deaths, babies, celebrations, training days and I could go on.
    None of these are constant and are very unpredictable, and that is only taking into account the school side, now when you add in the area, agency trying to get their cheapest candidate to get maximum commission, pool of teachers available to them you can see it's gonna fluctuate quite a bit.

I got tired of the bureaucracy, mindless planning proformas, paperwork, constant monitoring, moderation, assessments, marking(I could go on lol!) and started supply work in September 2017 in Northwest of England. The plan is to ease myself out(you become a bit institutionalised and used to the work routines after so many years working at primary school). I've averaged about 1-2 days per week since start. I don't have dependants or financial commitments so the plan is to use the extra time to do voluntary work and look and wait for other work and start an evening course at local college.

For me I'm sticking it out for this academic year so I'll be on standby from 7-8am twiddling my thumbs for those agency calls! Well done A.Browne on finding full time job.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI Abrown89 and Claudette_A

Welcome to the forum.

Abrown89,

Is that your cat in your avatar photo? He/she is very cute. It seems as though there are many cat lovers on this forum and glad to have another one to chat to.

It is interesting to read other people's supply experiences and although you have secured a job for January, you have some experience of supply and know what to expect if you have to do it again. It also, gives people an insight into how hard the job is and so when you meet supply teachers in your new school, you can empathise with them - even get them a cup of tea if they have had a kerching day.