1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nearly half-term and still quiet

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Zsoka888, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Zsoka888

Zsoka888 New commenter

Hello,
    Is it still quiet around supply work or is it only my perception?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Still quiet, but it looks as though it may be picking up for some. People who are willing to take on longer term placements seem to have more work. Not so much for day to day supply.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I read a report that agencies are still vigorously recruiting new people and probably have far more teachers on their books than they actually need. The perceived dip in work availability might not actually be because the demand has dropped off.
    I'm not sure if the work has diminished or if the number of people available to do it has multiplied disproportionately to the demand.
    It would be worth knowing how schools are deploying supply staff.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Good point nearmiss

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Nearmiss, I feel you have it on the head, with schools not recruiting staff and even making staff redundant, the new NQT's and experience, but now unemployed teachers need to find an income and that is supply in some cases, so that means more supply staff fighting for the work.

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  6. humpty

humpty New commenter

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing lack of supply. I have had 2 days of supply since beginning if September and becoming increasingly frustrated! This is being avaliable 3 days a week. I was wondering if this is normal. What gets me is I have seen them advertising for more supply teachers and also another supply teacher going into my child's school where I have done supply before!
    They keep saying it will get busier next term! I have emailed them to say that I may have to register with other agencies if it stays quiet.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

I wouldn't bother emailing them to say that - just join another agency any way. I don't think they'll bat an eyelid. I've recently joined another agency and filled in a local authority application form: I know they will have contacted my two existing agencies for references, but no one's said a word about it.
    And I also haven't had more than the usual offers of work from my first two agencies as a result.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  8. supply287

supply287 New commenter

I earned nearly 20k last year and a little less the few years before. Only about 6 days this term.I am older but I believe a tipping point has been reached like in 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

schoolsout4summer and pepper5 like this.
  9. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I've been very lucky and worked 2-3 days each week since the first week back. I have another little thing I do as well as teaching and I took lots of bookings for September thinking i'd have next to no work teaching. I was run off my feet between the two.

Typically I was told September is very quiet though. This is my first autumn term on supply.

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Humpty

Definitely join another agency.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think @nearmiss & @historygrump have it right! The number of would-be supply teachers is ever increasing while the available work is rapidly diminishing, so too many people are chasing too little work. Why new supply agencies should be still be popping up like mushrooms baffles me, as how do they make any money in such an employment climate? Certainly supply agencies are still recruiting vigorously. At least once each week, I get that, "We saw your CV online...." phone call from agencies, ironically often from ones with which I registered years ago but which found me no work.

12. catinthehat123

catinthehat123 New commenter

Possible reasons: big budget problems starting to bite this year are probably the main reason - schools just don't have the money to employ supply teachers. SLT being asked to cover as much as possible is another. Employing more very cheap full-time TAs another. Agencies will always talk up how much work there is and try to get you on their books. You are better off contacting schools directly and avoid agencies. My school has employed many teachers directly for the last few years - it works out a lot cheaper than using an agency directly (money is the main concern) and is not any more or less hassle.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. humpty

humpty New commenter

I will join another agency but it's getting them to find you work locally as they tend to be further away from where I live.
    I will also send my cv direct to schools. Do most people email these? What do you usually say in your cover letter/ email.?

pepper5 likes this.
  14. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I did this. Sent my cv and a letter to approximately 20 schools in September.... not one reply.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi yellowflower

My suspicion is schools would rather use agencies despite the cost since agencies are seen as being able to take the burden of checking for compliance, taking up references, and doing the payroll. In the morning when cover managers have minutes to sort out cover, they see agencies as being able to make a few phone calls to sort it all out for them.

Sending CVs and letters, however, may be a good strategy for anyone looking for a long term assignments which seem to be what are in demand at the moment.

No one knows what will happen in the future, but I do believe work will start to pick up slightly after half term, so let us keep as positive as we can.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  16. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

I've got 11 days booked for after half term, but on the whole, I've had less work than this time last year. I shall have to find at least another 9 days of work next half term to try and keep to schedule. Another 15 days would be better!

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

[​IMG]

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

Ha! I do think we sound a bit like Pollyanna sometimes :D.
    But pepper is also a realist, because she's got her admin work sideline. And if things get so bad that I can't afford to work in supply any more, I shall just have to bite the bullet and join Aldi's graduate programme.
    The trick is finding a way to be happy with Plan B (and C,D,E,F and so on!).

19. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I had a long term I walked out of. 2 days in a local school and have just been asked back to where I did long term last year to do a week. Even better: they've employed me as a casual supply so no agency and more likelihood of getting some days.

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thank you lulu57.