1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NCT marking

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Brucetta, May 1, 2012.

1. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

Has anyone marked NCT papers recently?

I decided to apply for maths a while back to earn a little extra money. Had an email confirming eligibility and a form to send back to them. Am still waiting to here now whether I will actually be marking any papers and have had no mention of training.

When I emailed them their answer was that my application was with the deployment team and that they would let me know if they had a suitable allocation.

I suppose my question is - Is this normal, have other people had training, know that that they are receiving papers? Or does this happen later? How much later? Do the papers turn up on your door step or do they actually bother to let you know!!

Good luck to any year 6 teachers out there preparing for these wonderful tests!!!

2. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

Has anyone marked NCT papers recently?

I decided to apply for maths a while back to earn a little extra money. Had an email confirming eligibility and a form to send back to them. Am still waiting to here now whether I will actually be marking any papers and have had no mention of training.

When I emailed them their answer was that my application was with the deployment team and that they would let me know if they had a suitable allocation.

I suppose my question is - Is this normal, have other people had training, know that that they are receiving papers? Or does this happen later? How much later? Do the papers turn up on your door step or do they actually bother to let you know!!

Good luck to any year 6 teachers out there preparing for these wonderful tests!!!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't know, we only do SATs
    [​IMG]

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I've marked for years. The contracts normally go out the previous dec. We received our training venue info this week and will get our training material in the next week. Training is on the saturday after the tests. There are fewer places each year due to the scrapping of the writing test, scrapping of KS3 tests etc. The first year I applied I was put on a waiting list for possible use the following year. I got a contract the next year. I would have expected that you would be told if you were being put on the waiting list, so it may be that you have not been successful.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

[​IMG]
    I'm surprised it's taken him this long to appear. He'll be along shortly.

6. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

I tried so hard not to call them SATs for fear of offending! :)

Thanks for the reply and all the info marymoocow.

I'm not really holding out too much hope of actually marking but from what I can establish based on what they have sent me and the reply I got from them today. I am on some kind of list and that I will not need to reapply in future as I will remain on the list.

How many papers do you usually get? And is generally worth doing?

Oh well guess its just a matter of wait and see!

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

HA HA HA. [​IMG]

8. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I am in same position with Maths. I haver marked English before and have been offered a reserve marker contract and been told to attend training. Was disappointed to only get reserve marker, as the money would have been very good as I am taking a paycut next year.

9. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

I applied in March and was told I'd be on a reserve list but then received training venue details and handbook this week so am presuming I am being given an allocation :-S

10. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

Or maybe not after reading paulie's post!

11. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I've been a marker for years...first Science and then English. You always know by December whether you've got a contract for the next May. If you're a reserve marker, you go to the training and get paid for that, then have 50 scripts of your own to mark and any random ones that come along afterwards due to people dropping out or being stopped. I was English reserve the first year and didn't get any extras. Generally I usually earn about £1200 which pays for a holiday so I think it's worth doing. It'll be my last year, as I'm off teaching overseas in September, so there'll be a vacancy next time round! Hope you get something......!

12. Do you have to have taught Y6 to stand a chance at doing this? I am a KS1 teacher but have tutored Y6 children and would be interested in doing this.
    Is it worth the money? How much time do you have to dedicate to it, and what do you generally get pay-wise?

13. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

Again thanks for all the replies.

I assume from what people have said that I will not be getting anything this year as I haven't received any information about training or anything but who knows fingers crossed.

impulce - I'm a KS1 teacher and my references were good enough. Having said that I have taught year 6 and been maths coordinator which may have helped!

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Impulce
    You have some tight time scales but on the whole you get most done in half term hols. I only work PT though. I usually take a week off from marking to make a start on report writing as this tends to fall in the middle of the marking period. Whether it is worth it depends on your income, but the approx £1200 before tax tends to go towards a holiday, so worth it for me.
    Maths you get between 400-420 sets of papers.
    I was a FS teacher when I went on reserve then on a career break for kids the next year when I got a full contract. The next few years I was on supply and have been in FS for the last few. The first time I applied I wasnt successful. The next time I had done Y2 KS1 SATs and was maths leader and had taught boosters to Y6. Just emphasise any assessment experience you have got, whether end of KS1 SATs or FS profile etc. Also your Y6 experience.

15. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I've marked KS2 NCTs (English) by invitation without ever teaching that key stage but I had marked NCT English at KS3 a few times.

16. markuss

(Surprised anyone still laughs at the tired old "SATs" joke. It's such an ancient jest and nowadays everybody knows that none of our young children do university entrance tests. Suppose there's one born every minute - and some children and parents and possibly headteachers have not been told the truth yet.)

17. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Wahay! I am upset it took you this long to comment.
    Honest question - Do you really believe what you're saying about SATs? Have you honestly never used a nickname, or commonly used term for something before? Or are you purely a wind-up merchant?

18. markuss

Nothing wrong with nicknames or slang in themselves, of course - as long as you know that that's the register you're using.
    Only with "sats", people like headteachers don't seem know it's idle slang or joking nickname and so show off with this smart sounding assesssment term and pass on their ignorance to others.
    For some reason, people seem to think that if the Head says it, it must be right.
    I was once visiting schools in a cluster on assessment business. There was a notice on the Primary staff board about "SATs". When I asked the head about it, she winked and said, "You know and I know but they're only primary and they wouldn't understand."
    When I went to the neighbouring secondary school and asked the Head there if they used the same word, he said that, yes, they did and yes, of course it was nonsense but it was what the children were told by the primary teachers and they didn't like to contradict!
    Maybe, it doesn't matter, but it's what teachers teach, isn't it? Calling things by the right name. It's what we do all the time. Whatever year, whatever the subject, we're teaching the right names for things.

19. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

How do you apply to be a marker?