1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NCFE V Cert Level 2 Business and Enterprise

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Craigjohnson, Jun 3, 2014.

1. cgermaine

cgermaine New commenter

Hi Going very quickly. Is that allowed? An interesting way of looking at it. I may do that in the retakes. It would make things a bit clearer perhaps. It was Ok with your Exams Officer? Did you run it past the board?

2. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

They are aware as you have to complete a sheet prior as to when/where/time etc that task 2 is being completed so they know we give them 15 mins on task 2 straight after finishing task 1.

What we prep them on is what they need to cover for each of the criteria generically just like you would for any other exam so before they start 2.1 we go over what target markets are and what they need to include for the merit - i.e. make sure you say why they are suitable or not. Then for 3.1 we go over all everything (what is in the range) for each of the Ps and advice as per the previous reports on how to meet merit and distinction, so for example ensure that they mention tangible, intangible, product lifecycle, Boston Matrix - if there is no intangible products then they need to say that to ensure they use all the key terms.

It does take some organisation to ensure that they do task 2 in small doses and I would recommend going over with the students all the past reports as these are invaluable for the students to understand what they need to do

3. going grey quickly

sorry - re the sheet just noticed that they sample centres prior to the window asking for the plan on assessment so they were aware in October that we did the 15 minutes of task 2 and then several sessions

cgermaine likes this.
  4. Please may i be added??

5. rylowe

rylowe New commenter

Hi all,
    I haven't posted for a while but thought to give an update.

After 2 years of teaching the VCERT business course I have decided to leave it and embark another suitable course.
    I have no issues with the coursework units but it is the dreaded external exam that gets my kids morale down including myself. My opinion of the exam is if your learners don't have strong comprehension reading skills then they will struggle with understanding the case study but yet VCERT do say to ensure the course is suitable for your learners and for ours its not so I'm prepared to drop it and start a new course from Sept 2017.

I've been looking at OCRs new Cambridge National in Business & Marketing and the exam looks more user friendly where the pupils have to retain the business knowledge which seems easier than knowing how to describe, explain, etc.
    I'm hoping I can get my current year 10s who fail the vcert exam on the old Cambridge national spec for business to hopefully get them a level 2 in business but need to check the policies and formalities.

If you're going to go with vcert then be brave....especially with the draft reformed vcert tech in business and enterprise which is on the website.

6. going grey quickly

thanks for the heads up of the new draft spec - not sure about my feelings of it yet, will need to see example exam I think to make an informed decision of all the ones that will be on the 2019 tables

7. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

Hello all

Are your departments finding it a problem planning for the new curriculum away from doing the GCSE Business Studies course, given that there is no decision as to what counts towards Progress/Attainment 8 measures. The new GCSE's would not suit our students but making a decision as to what to do is leaving no planning time to implement something as we as schools do not know what counts or not.

I would like to hear what other Business departments are thinking.

8. rylowe

rylowe New commenter

Trouble is VCERT said in their new spec practise test papers will be available after live tests have been done so I guess we're going to be stuck like with the reformed GCSE's where we won't have new practise papers.

9. rylowe

rylowe New commenter

Hi,
    Looking back at the 2017 and 2018 performance tables it seems the only business qualifications available for progress 8 are:
    • VCERT Business and Enterprise (draft spec with 6 units, units 1-4 are external and internal assessed and units 5-6 are internally assessed).
    • BTEC Business (there will be a newer BTEC Tech Business course from Pearson but spec not available til late March)
    • Cambridge Nationals Business & Enterprise (note this is changing to Business and Marketing for first teach from Sept 2017 to hopefully count in 2019).

Guess we'll be restricted again in the ones we can choose when they eventually publish the 2019 performance points.

10. lucythompson_ncfe

lucythompson_ncfe New commenter

Hello Everyone

I am responsible for V Certs at NCFE and just wanted to update you all about the Business and Enterprise qualifications.

The new Tech Awards have been re-developed with a new assessment model which does not require full 'mastery' in the external assessment. This assessment has now also been created across both the Level 1 and Level 2 qualification to support the transfer between levels where appropriate.

These qualifications have been submitted to the DfE for approval onto the 2019 Performance Tables and we are presently awaiting confirmation. This is due in March but, as experience has shown, this may be somewhat delayed before being published by DfE after Ministerial sign off

https://www.ncfe.org.uk/media/82986...n-business-and-enterprise-qual-spec-draft.pdf
    https://www.ncfe.org.uk/media/829874/level-2-technical-award-in-business-and-enterprise-draft.pdf

11. bpartridge1

bpartridge1 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm looking to introduce NCFE Level 2 in Business and Enterprise from September having previously delivered BTEC. The internal assessments look more accessible for our students, however there seems to be a distinct lack of teaching resources for these units. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be prepared to share resources.
    My email address is;
    BPartridge@ormistonpark.org.uk
    Kind regards
    Ben

12. going grey quickly

The current NCFE Vcert spec is not on the 2019 performance table qualifications - at the moment there is only the BTEC First Tech Award and the OCR Level 1/2 Cambridge National Certificate in Enterprise and Marketing which are on there for first teaching from 2017

NCFE have developed a new spec, but at the moment it will not attract performance points although another update is due in August

13. AClarida

AClarida New commenter

Hi All,

I've just survived my first BTEC cohort, but after over 12,000 words for just one Distinction unit I don't think my year 9 students are at that level and will be moving over to VCert.

Please can I join this group.

adrianclarida@staldhelms-academy.co.uk

14. staffam

staffam New commenter

Are you aware that the VCert is not yet on the 2019 Performance Tables? There are only 2 Tech Awards currently on the 2019 Performance Tables:
    • OCR's new Level 1/2 Cambridge National Certificate in Enterprise and Marketing
    • Pearson's BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Business

15. lucythompson_ncfe

I wanted to confirm that we’re still awaiting approval from the Department for Education (DfE) on the inclusion of our Level 1 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise and Level 2 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise in the list of technical qualifications that will count in the 2019 performance tables. We expect to have confirmation in August and we’ll let you know as soon as we have an update.

In the meantime, we're requesting an extension on the existing versions of these qualifications, and again, we'll hear back from the DfE in August. This will support your planning, provide some consistency and will allow you to choose between the existing and new versions of the qualifications. What's more, if you're currently delivering the existing versions of the qualifications, we can offer automatic approval to the new versions in order to make your life easier and minimise your administration.

You may also find it useful to take a look at iAchieve – an endorsed supplier of qualification support materials that can support your delivery from September.

Finally, we’re pleased to confirm that our Level 3 Applied General Certificate in Business and Enterprise has now been approved and will count in 2019 performance tables.

If you have any questions then please email me lucythompson@ncfe.org.uk or schools@ncfe.org.uk or call 0191 240 8822.

16. AClarida

AClarida New commenter

I am, but given that awarding bodies are not in the business of developing qualifications that don't meet Ofquals criteria I'm hedging my bets. I've delivered the OCR course and the Exam was too hard and whilst my group passed with Merits and distinctions in the Btec it just too much for my lower ability learners

17. cgermaine

cgermaine New commenter

Did anyone else get the email this week about the removal of 2.3 in the October exams? Any idea why it was removed?

18. going grey quickly

NO! - what did the email say? We have our moderator in tomorrow so can ask the question

19. going grey quickly

just spoken to them (for some reason they sent the email to head of centre (but they changed the contact details for the head of centre to a different person!) Yes, they have withdrawn 2.3 from the October window due to ambiguity within the case study when they were checking it

20. lucythompson_ncfe

Hi Everyone

As Product Manager at NCFE I hope that this statement helps to clarify the current situation.

"Whilst carrying out our annual session quality checks, a potential ambiguity has been brought to our attention in the assessment of the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Business and Enterprise for the 2016-2017 session only. After a thorough investigation, it’s been determined that criteria 2.3 in the external assessment papers be removed from the assessment criteria as a post result special consideration. This will be applied to all learners in the 2016-2017 academic session to ensure that no learner is disadvantaged. This does not affect future external assessments.

In the interest of maintaining the fairness and integrity of the assessment, we have confidence that this is the appropriate corrective action to take and demonstrates our commitment to ensuring our learners receive the appropriate recognition for their work."

Those affected by this adjustment have already been contacted directly by NCFE.

Please contact The Schools Team on 0191 240 8822 if you have any immediate queries