1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NCFE V Cert Level 2 Business and Enterprise

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Craigjohnson, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mrsafo

mrsafo New commenter

All very interesting. We too have started the VCert which I am new too. Happy to share resources as we build them up. Can I be added to the dropbox? mrsafoantwi@gmail.com

2. LeighDavies

LeighDavies New commenter

On the second year of VCERT now after another teacher looked after the cohort last year. I have resources to share and if I could be added into the drop box community, that would be excellent. hgieldavies@hotmail.com

Thank you.

3. marzy2011

marzy2011 New commenter

4. JHumm

JHumm New commenter

I have just delivered units 1, most of unit 4 in year 10 and have just started to deliver unit 2 and am concerned about students being able to pass the unit 2 exam. I do not think some of my students will pass the exam so will have to be dropped down to level 1. V cert said that I would need to re-register learners at a cost of £51 each and remark all of the other work to meet the criteria for the level 1 course. Is this the same as other people's experiences? Please could I also be added to the drop box for resources?

5. JHumm

JHumm New commenter

6. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

Which window are you entering them in? We rushed through a few year 11s last year that we thought would bomb in the Edexcel GCSE so we only had the Feb window; of the 11 we entered 5 NYA (all of them on only 1 criteria) therefore we have started it a lot earlier with new year 11 and have entered them for the October window with a lot of prep/after school sessions given that we did start to teach it before the summer, but obviously they have forgotten everything over the summer! This then gives us the Feb window for a resit.

Those that NYA last year we did enter for level 1; if you see my previous posts with regards to the evidence required for those dropped down it isn't too much if you can get their results remarked as they do provide an extensive report on each criteria so you can match that report to the Level 1 criteria and only have to provide evidence for the Level 1 which isn't tested at Level 2 and those in which they NYA

7. HJK2

HJK2 New commenter

8. gedandpat

gedandpat New commenter

9. sajidashabir

sajidashabir New commenter

Hi
    My school has decided to teach VCert Business instead of GCSE Business this year. Please can i be added to the dropbox account( sajidashabir@hotmail.com). Does anyone know best method for marking unit 1, as i not sure if this i'm currently doing this correctly as we have not had our moderator visit yet.

10. adelejanebrown

adelejanebrown New commenter

Hi, I am new to vcert. This has not previously been taught. Please add me to the community dropbox adelejanebrown@sky.com

I would love to contribute.

11. cgermaine

cgermaine New commenter

With the results for the Marketing unit out last Friday, how did people do. I had 35% Pass rate, which still bothers me considering the number of Distinctions and Merits across the various criteria. Lots of kids missed one or 2 criteria and ended with NYA.

12. richizz

richizz New commenter

I 100% agree - the exam is a disgrace and I'm switching straight back to BTEC, at least you don't have to answer every question correctly in the finance exam just to pass. I had a student who achieved all distinctions in the required sections and one pass and this was an overall pass. Also had 10 others who failed because they got one section wrong.

13. richizz

richizz New commenter

I had about 50% Pass - Distinction. Really poor and when I look at the breakdown it's even more frustrating.. I also can't see why they have to re-do 1.1 and 1.2 if they passed that first time.

14. richizz

richizz New commenter

Some advice, until they change the exam, avoid this course like the plague.

15. cgermaine

cgermaine New commenter

I agree. We are not doing this course anymore as it is so disheartening for the pupils. I dont think there is another subject where they have to get 100% pass to achieve a pass overall. I like the course, just not the exam. We have gone back to GCSE, which is a backward step in my opinion as it is quite dry, but at least kids get rewarded for what they do.

It is a shame that they have to redo the whole exam rather than just focus on the parts they did not achieve in. The assessment for this exam is hugely flawed and does not represent what the pupils can do. Also the exam board support is poor - no mark scheme, no returning papers, no releasing of national pass marks - although the people on the end of the phone are great.

16. billy1973

billy1973 New commenter

Hi, I am new to vcert.. Please add me to the community dropbox b.goldsmith@harrismorden.org.uk
    I have some resources for Unit 1 developed to contribute

17. lford14

lford14 New commenter

Hi we have had the same issues and just wondering if you would be happy for me to email you as I would be interested to get some more evidence of other schools with the same issues, I have had a number of email conversations recently with NCFE and not happy with their responses. Especially regarding mark schemes and not being able to access papers. We are currently paying for re-marks but I really feel for my learners, but find it hard to explain how to improve, because from discussions it sounds like they included what I would have included. My email is lewhittington@hotmail.co.uk

18. lford14

lford14 New commenter

We have had a number of issues with the exam and just wondering if you would be happy for me to email you as I would be interested to get some more evidence of other schools with the same issues, I have had a number of email conversations recently with NCFE and not happy with their responses. Especially regarding mark schemes and not being able to access papers. We are currently paying for re-marks but I really feel for my learners, but find it hard to explain how to improve, because from discussions it sounds like they included what I would have included. My email is lewhittington@hotmail.co.uk

19. poppedops

poppedops New commenter

We have done the Unit 2 exam in December and I was wondering if anyone has feedback on re-mark of papers. Has anybody had any success requesting a remark or is that also working on a 50% pass rate?

I agree that the support is poor and completely unfair towards students. We will no longer be offering this course. We are going back to BTEC.

20. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

we had two papers remarked last year and the report was very detailed (although no marks went up!) Our experience since then has been to really nail down task 1 especially i.e. we keep going over 1.1 with definition, examples, advantages and disadvantages and then with 1.2 reasons, why and then the good/bad examples. Whilst the kids were sick to death of keep doing it but it did pay off for the vast majority.
    For task 2 - we give them 15 mins of the 4 hours after they have done task 1 to read through the case study and the questions so they can formulate in their heads what they need to think about before beginning the remaining time to answer them formally.
    We timetable the remaining time so they are just doing 1 criteria for each slot again, going over and over what needs to be included for the pass, merit and distinction.