1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ncfe teaching assistant level 3 course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lana84, Mar 2, 2012.

1. HI all,

I have just seen this site through the teaching assistant centre where I have just enrolled for the above course! Has anyone else done this one? I passed my first assignment last week and sent my second one today.

Many thanks in advance

Lana

2. Hi Lana,
    Yes, I am currently doing the NCFE level 3 course. I wrote all I could while waiting for my school to confirm my placement but I'm finding it a bit difficult to get the tasks done in the school because the witness statements and professional discussions (you may not have to do these, I'm not sure if they're specific to the company I went with...) require a lot of teacher attention, and this is hard to get in a busy school environment!
    Have you arranged a school placement?

3. Hi,

What assignment are you on? How are you finding it? Mine is through stonebrige collage and it doesn't actually require a placement but I figured it would held so im just doing one afternoon a week at a local school as thats all I could do to fit around my work and two children who are 6 and 2.

4. Ah yes, I remember looking at their website while I was trying to decide which course to take. I've done half of the tasks just by reading the course material. The other half includes tasks that I have to DO myself in the classroom, or talk to a teacher about.

5. Hi i am thinking about doing this course, i wondered what people thought about the course and being able to get all the assignments done. Is this course like a NVQ.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks

6. Hi chris
    Which course did you decide to go with in the end.

7. hi
    there are many forms of this course. Are you doing the NCFE Supporting teaching and learning in schools level 3 - there is a certificate and and a diploma at level 3. They both bypass the NVQ level 3 and you need a work placement to do this course. There is 3and half hours in college each week plus masses of homework as there are 6 blocks to get through. You will complete two portfolio's one a theory base done and the other a professional placement based one with activity plans, schemes of work etc. You will need to do at least one morning in a school per week as a placement this is a compulsory part of the course and to get on this course you would have needed to have worked or done over 100 hours in a school plus have GCSE in English and maths or equivalent. Once passed it can lead on toward either work as a TA or help towards foundation degree in Education or childcare. I am currently on this course at Bromley college even though I have 20 years experience as a TA and am an OU undergraduate about to graduate within the next 18 months. I do three mornings a week work placement, I evening a week at college and the workload is heavy but worth while. I am glad i did this course and finish in July 2012. Angie

8. hi,

im doing the ncfe teaching assistant level 3 through the teaching assistant centre online :) it doesnt require a placement but im working in a school 1 afternoon anyway, there are 9 assignments 1 exam, i started it nearly 5 weeks ago and i started assignment 4 tonight

9. I did the NCFE Level 3 course at Bromley College last year. I agree the workload is heavy but worth it... I use the skills learnt on the course on a daily basis.

10. Hi im doing mine through stonebridge also!
    just going through assignment 3.
    how are you finding it?
    i havent actually had any contact from a tutor yet but seemed to be passing quite well i just never really know what to write and how much I should write! Which obviously delays me hugely!

11. Chrisd90 who are you doing your course with?