1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NCFE Level 2 certificate music technology???

Discussion in 'Music' started by nikkib_1986, May 28, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi!

I'm looking to introduce a music technology qualification to my school as an alternative to a traditional GCSE music course.
    I've stumbled acorss the ncfe level 2 certificate in music technology and just wondered if anyonw has used it or has any experience of it.
    Thanks

2. Yes, I'm sure that's right.

3. Hi
    Yes I ran NCFE Music Technology Course too. It is handy also that it can be converted to The Award Level instead of the Certificate Level, both are Level 2, the latter is worth the same as a B grade in GCSE and the former a C. I have converted students qualification from a Certificate to the Award if their course work is not up to scratch. However, it is all evidence based and in any format whatsoever. If a certain standard is missed out in any unit they can fail unless it is cross referenced with some other evidence they have. I find it a good course, but beware that the course ought to have some templates of 'closed' activities to ensure all candidates provide sufficient evidence. I have found that some boys are poor in organising themselves and provide low standards of evidence at times. I had one student who provided evidence for all the five units and all the standards, but it was pretty low in quality. The moderator suggested moving the candidate to the Level 1 Certificate, which we did.
    Hope this helps
    PAUL
    P.S. Last year the NCFE introduced a £400 annual admin fee for centres delivering the qualification, so it would only be worth it if other courses by NCFE are also present in your school.

4. Hi JennyMus - we are looking at delivering something 14-16 down a music technology route - which level 2 are you delivering - I can only find MUSIC?
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. I've got no idea what that means, and I seriously doubt that any employers do either, but I think it is very unfair to inflate the value of BTec in the eyes of students. Students can collect as many BTecs as they wish, but it's not a qualification that is going to get them into Oxbridge, for example.
    The following specifications are inline to be changed:-
    Applied Science, Art and Design, , Travel and Tourism.
    These changes are already underway so teachers should not be 'put off' from offering them in school.
    To clarify, I am not inflating the value of Btecs in the eyes of students. What is clear is that students who take and pass a Btec extended certificate will be awarded the equivalent of 2 GCSEs. Schools will only be able to use 1 GCSE however in their school figures.
    Many employers are aware of the value of Btecs, as well as many colleges and universities. A Btec student of mine has recently gained a first at the Guldhall School of Music!
    As Alison Wolf wrote in the Guadian, “there is no reason whatsoever why some vocational courses could not be included in the list of qualifications that are highly respected. On the contrary, they can and should”.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But in whose eyes is this BTec worth two GCSEs? Obviously, it is worth two GCSEs in the eyes of Edexcel, who run the exam and thus have a vested interest.
    But admissions officers at Oxford and Cambridge are quite open about the fact that they don't regard a BTec as the equivalent of even a single academic exam - and I suspect that many employers follow suit, even if they daren't say so.
    I can see no good reason for private exams such as BTec - Edexcel publishes hardly any data about BTec entries or results, so it is impossible to know if the qualification is worth anything at all.

7. I don't understand the importance of the Oxford/Cambridge reference?? There are so many more universities that do recognise Btecs. In my role at school I am in contact with many employers who do value Btecs. The fact that students are given tasks that are far more suitable to the work place is seen as a real advantage. Do you think GCSE/ A level is the only route for students??

8. florian gassmann

You say that a BTec is worth two GCSEs but the admissions tutors at Oxford and Cambridge don't seem to agree with you. They are not alone: "passes in the requisite
    GCSE, O level and A level examinations of the General Certificate of
    Education represent an almost indispensable background to the courses
    offered by Imperial College".
    Are you perhaps saying that this doesn't matter because BTec students are unlikely to set their sights on Oxbridge or on a Russell Group university? I hope not! But my point is that it seems unfair to tell students that their BTec is worth two GCSEs when this is neither laid down in statute nor accepted by some of the world's leading universities.
    No, but any alternative route should be subject to the same transparency as GCSE and A level. It should not be a private exam, its statistics and results should be published, and a suitable body should report on its quality in relation to public examinations.
    It really is no use to tell students that they are taking something "worth two GCSEs" when this cannot be proved nor even agreed by music educationalists.

9. This is taken directly from the edexcel web page

What is a BTEC ?worth??
    BTEC qualifications are fully recognised as holding equivalences to GCSEs. For example, a Level 2 BTEC First Diploma is worth the equivalent of four A*- to C-grade GCSEs.

I am therefore more than confident telling students what Btecs are worth.

10. florian gassmann

Fully recognised by who, apart from Edexcel?
    Obviously Edexcel are going to big-up BTec, as it is their own private exam. But who else recognises this so-called equivalence?
    And what on earth does "the equivalent of four GCSEs" mean? It certainly doesn't mean that this first diploma in music is the equivalent in time, demand and utility of a set of GCSEs in English, Maths, Science and a Modern Foreign Language. Nor, I imagine, does it mean that it is the equivalent of passing GCSE Music four times over.
    Unless you can quote an authoritative source for the claim (other than the exam's owner), all you are doing is feeding your students with Edexcel's own marketing speak.

11. The Qualifications and Credit Framework decide on courses equivalence. Previously known as the National Qualifications Framework. They drew up 8 levels of courses ranging from level 1 foundation right through to level 8 phd.

Every unit and qualification has a credit value where one credit represents 10 hours of learning time. The Btecs are clearly within this framework, so its not just Edexcel speak!

I have the very fortunate position of being able to offer and teach GCSE, Btec First, Music technology and AS/A2 music. I find that offering such a range of choice means that students have an opportunity to develop their own individual strengths.

Maybe you and I should just agree to disagree Florian!