1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NC levels - future??

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Apr 28, 2012.

1. DM

DM New commenter

There isn't a lot of documentation in the public domain but it is true. Michael Gove confirmed as much when he was in front of the Education Committee last week.
    At the end of Key Stage 3 (for example) each student will be placed in one of three categories:
    1) Has exceeded the standard expected
    2) Has met the standard expected
    3) Has failed to meet the standard expected
    This information will be reported to the DfE and parents.
    May God have mercy on any school with more than 20% of a cohort in the final category.

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

DM - I fixed your typo:

3. DM

DM New commenter

4. I must say I do have concerns about this approach - it'll be like GCSE where all the attention within school goes on the 'C/D borderline' students and those who are working at a lower level or have already achieved the standard get massively less attention.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Interestingly, at KS4, GSCE grade C will become "the standard expected". Some work for schools to do there then.

6. In effect it already is with the almost total focus on C/D borderline students in some (many?) schools.

7. T34

T34 Established commenter

It's not exactly replacing levels, is it.
    More like changing the concept of what are acceptable levels.