1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NC levels and P levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lost_in_translation, Feb 15, 2009.

1. As an NQT in a mixed R/1 class I am still learning lots of stuff about levelling etc. I have recently done some assessed writing work with the class - they wrote a story independently and I am now levelling their work. I have 2 year 1 children who have come out as still working at Foundation Stage level and I was just wondering when the decision is made to give children 'P levels' and what this means for the children. They are both young - one is a boy with a May birthday, the other is a late August born girl who is also a looked after child (in the process of being adopted currently - so clearly has other issues she is dealing with including transitions at home and school - she only came to us in November). Can anyone hlep me? Bit overhwelmed by it all! Thanks x

2. I use foundation stage levels up till christmas then move on to p-scales for those children who haven't reached NC levels. So I am now levelling using either p-scales or NC levels.

3. As I understand it the children who are nt achieving a 1c in year 1 are given a w (working towards). P levels are only used with SEN children, however this could just be in my school

4. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Just had training on this, and the 'new' thinking is that come the Spring term, children working below year 1 expectations (1c) should be assessed using the p-scales. W's should only be used for children with EAL whose language is a barrier to learning.
    W's for children with SEN do not show/show limited progress over time. P-scales do and should be used as the progress made is more easily identified, and appropriate targets can be made.

5. What about children who have circumstances like I described in my original post? I do not feel that the girl has SEN, she has just been through a lot which has affected her schooling. I feel confident that given the right environment and opportunities she will catch up - do I level her on P levels or not? Do they need to be on school action/plus to be given P levels? Or does giving a P level mean that they need to go on school action?Just not sure how it all works?

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

As far as I can understand the P-scales are simply to show what level a child is on at that particular moment in their school experience. This girl, with all that has happened to her HAS got SEN, in the sense that her educational needs are able to be met with additional support. If as you say, she will catch up, then she will surely whizz of the P-scales and into NC levelling soon enough.
    I'm not sure about other schools, but in mine, (I only took over the class in January) I have just put 10 of my year 1 boys onto the SEN register, in addition to the 2 who are already there. They are not making the age expected progress. They will no doubt be considered SA as they will be on the register and I will be using P-scales to assess them, but I'm not sure whether they 'need' to be SA/+ to use P-scales.

7. How do Plevels match up with NC levels. Are P scales below W or do they fit within?

8. P Scales have widely be used for those on SEN who are at National curriculum age . For example all those children who come to School FOLLOWING THE EYFS then in year 1 make slow progress those children will stay on the National Curriculum/EYFS.
    P levels have only ever been for those who join school with a SEN and/or have serious SEN needs. Maybe new training indicates otherwise now but the point of PLevels was for children who made VERY SLOW progress, it allowed achievements to be made. Hope this helps!!

9. Advice from our LEA is that w is no longer used, except for EAL children in particular circumstances. We follow the guidance from our LEA which is that in Year 1 children are shown either on the NC, or still on the profile, until after Christmas when we need to start moving those still on the profile to P scales, so that by Easter all children are either on the NC levels, or on P scales as they are then considered SEN if they are still not reaching 1c by the Easter assessment stage.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

P scales should not be used for children who do not have SEN although some schools use them for any child working below L1
    Teachers in Y1 can continue to use the EYFS Profile as their assessment tool for children where
    they consider this to be appropriate. This will be particularly the case for children who have not
    obtained any or most of the Early Learning Goals (ELG) – scale points 4-8 – in a particular
    EYFS Profile scale. The point at which teachers begin to use APP criteria is a matter for
    professional judgement and the teacher's knowledge of the child. Teachers will need to carefully
    consider which criteria best match the child's developing strengths and needs and support them
    in identifying the next steps in their learning.

Teachers will also need to use their judgement to determine whether a child has not achieved
    the ELG <u>as a result of a special educational need.</u> Children with identified special educational
    needs who are likely to be working below level 1 at the end of the key stage should be assessed
    in relation to the p scales.
    For more guidance on using the p scales, please see the resources
    section below.

http://www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/p-scales-history