1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nature vs nurture

Discussion in 'Science' started by dazids, Jan 19, 2012.

1. dazids

dazids New commenter

Hi

I'm a PGCE student and i'm getting oberved on the above topic just wonder if anyone had any interesting lessons for this topic. Its a year 10 class

Thanks

2. dazids

dazids New commenter

Hi

I'm a PGCE student and i'm getting oberved on the above topic just wonder if anyone had any interesting lessons for this topic. Its a year 10 class

Thanks

3. Well firstly it is pretty much accepted by geneticists that it is Nature AND Nurture now, there really isn't a debate anymore, though non-scientists keep trying to keep it going. The environment does play a huge effect on gene expression, eg. temperature changes turning on or off melanin production in snow hares etc.. Equally some effects on the genome cause by the environment are heritable, read up on epigenetics. If your lesson is for a year group below sixth form I would just stick to looking at variation and how continuous variation, like height and weight, often controlled by multiple genes, can be affected by the environment.
    This link might provide some background reading:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6070522

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Science Now (which was a KS3 scheme) had some very good higher ability worksheets with case studies on identical twins separated at birth and then you had to discuss where the similarityes and differences came from when they were re-united many years later. Not sure whether they are available online these days.

5. Twig is an organisation selling access to a number (approx 600) of interesting video clips - I did some reviews for them last year and I would certainly suggest they are worth consideration by most departments - see if you can access them through your school or PGCE course, dazids.
    Two of their clips involve NvN and show (from memory) the effects of selecting docile wolf cubs for further breeding (Alaska/ Russia? - can't remember) and the opposite (aggresive rats??) which may have been done in Scandanavia. Sorry the details are weak, but it was a lot of work in a short period.
    Some of their clips are available as a "free sample" - you might hit lucky!

6. National Geographic for January 2012 has an article concerning twins, and their upbringing.