1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nature red in ..........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, May 23, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Last year a pair of crows had a nest in a tall tree at the end of our neighbour's garden. One day they went crazy when a squirrel raided the nest - the noise was phenomenal and something fell to the ground from the nest high in the tree.
    They came back to the same nest this year and have worked so hard for weeks and weeks and today we thought there was a young one hopping about in its tree and coming into the garden but there was just all hell let loose and husband saw a fox in the garden with something in its mouth. The crows are still shouting and flying around demented. I don't love the crows - they scare all the small birds out of the garden but I don't know - life is cruel.

nomad likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I imagine the Mummy and Daddy crows were flapping more about saving their own skins than grief for the dear departed. Crows will happily eat the fledglings of other species so don't waste any sympathy.
    Nature is clucking awful. I've spent my whole life fighting it. A pleasing view or cute appealing furry thing does not atone for the sheer cruelty and wastage.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes nature is cruel. I don't particularly like crows either but 2 years on the run . . . .

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Birds are birds and they do whatever bird things they have been genetically programmed to do, whether they are robins, magpies or crows. I agree that crows don't look good on Christmas cards but we really should stop ascribing human values on them.

Larks ascend and inspire poetry and music while nightingales sing in Berkeley Square because that is what larks and nightingales do.

Magpies eat the eggs and hatchlings of other birds because that is what magpies do.

Crows will peck out lamb's eyes because that is what crows do.

There really is no 'good' or 'bad' in the animal kingdom - just nature.

(I hate pigeons though! Fat, ugly ********!)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was in the fortunate position to see some Puffins at close quarters recently. They were doing all their funny Puffin stuff on the clifftop until a crow approached from the sea. In an instant every last one of them was up in the air swarming around the crow like wasps trying to distract it from their nesting area. Likewise crows will harass buzzards that get anywhere near their territory. So it goes.

cissy3 and nomad like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Birds.
    Just this week I diversified into submitting a 5000 word feature for the first issue of a young ornithologist magazine. They haven't yet got back to me on it yet, so I'm a bit worried my dyslexia has reached a new owl.

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

They are the quintessential sound of Summer to me.

[​IMG]

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

A reasoned and philosophical viewpoint.

Indeed, I was struck by the profound wisdom of the last statement.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have two hedgehogs in the garden - I am so pleased

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah... Pigeons are fat and ugly...

:D

nomad likes this.
  11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We had hedgehogs in the garden, one of which I rescued and nurtured through the winter as a youngster. Now we have badgers but no hedgehogs. Apparently badgers eat hedgehogs!

cissy3 likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had a pair of hedgehogs a few years ago and then we had little hedgehogs roaming round.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When we visited Australia a few years ago, we went on a guided walk in a botanical park. As we were walking along, we saw a duck with five ducklings following it...suddenly there were only 4 as a bird swooped down and picked up the last one and flew away with it. The mother didn't even realise. The guide told us the bird now enjoying lunch was a 'butcher bird'! Seemed appropriate...:eek:

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@nomad OK, but the robin on the fence post and the song thrush in the trees do give me joy and the crow stalking around in his black academic gown with his hands behind his back makes me laugh. They are birds and I am human.

15. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Our garden is invaded with pigeons at the moment, think that it is because they are feeding on the rape field opposite us. Agree that they all seem over fed.

nomad likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The ducks at the local pond don't seem to be having a great breeding season so far. Very ducklings around.

No swallows either - although there are House Martins and Swifts in the area

nomad likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

With regard to nightingales singing in Berkeley Square, for those who appreciate really good a cappella...

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Found a sweet little blue t1t fledgling on the path to our paddocks yesterday. It had a broken wing. Never got to fly. Never felt the wind beneath its little wings. It passed away peacefully...........
    Life can be short and not so sweet.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I saw a blackbird peck another blackbird to death last year. One of my chickens was dying and another pecked a whole lot of her feathers out. Birds are horrible!