1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nature on Nurture?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by frogusmaximus, Dec 4, 2019.

1. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Recently spent an afternoon with an expat gay parent who lives with his partner of 20 years. Ten years ago they adopted a little girl recently arrived at a local orphanage.

There are the usual issues of a single child wanting siblings, and an aged father who found parenthood a challenge the first time round, but It's quite staggering to see how clever the little girl is, performing at the top end of her class and both confident and at ease with everyone she meets.

DocShew and alex_teccy like this.
  2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Nature AND Nurture, I suspect, though I have no idea how one would measure the various influences against each other.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Twins seperated at birth studies.

In the old days they separated twins like that. Imagine meeting your twin by accident!

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

The twin studies didn't work, they didn't show anything conclusively.

Its both, its impossible to tell them apart. You are born with a huge range of potentials, impossible to know or count how many, and nurture talks you down one path or another. ot an impossible to measure extent

T0nyGT likes this.
  5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There's an excellent and tragic documentary on this exact subject. It's called Three Identical Strangers. I'd recommend it to anyone

Mermaid7 likes this.
  6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There was a recent TV documentary on this very thing. It was quite sad as it was done purely as a sociological experiment.

7. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Was walking with the wife through a mall recently and was passed by an obviously proud set of parents walking hand in hand with their toddler. We seemed to pass each other numerous times and on every occasion the child was attempting communication, taking her first steps at word use. Not one time did the parents engage with their daughter and the couple interacted more with their phones than her.

I see this far too often. Shall we call it anti-nurture?

Mainwaring likes this.
  8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

They eff you up, your Mum and Dad,
    They never mean to, but they do.