1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nativity 2018

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Ah
    so that is how it is done.
    Put on some backing music , well no, worse still, some music tracks from the internet (that Youtube one is very familiar at our house) and then get the kids to sing along. But not be heard.
    Have terrible costumes.
    Come into the room to a very contemporary pop song. Why that song? Why?
    Get the kids to talk into mikes turned up really loud so that they cannot be heard because of distortion.
    Completely baffling. Only my extensive experience enabled me to work out that this was the nativity play.
    As for some of the hand gestures the children had been taught and were being encouraged to use while singing...... words fail me.
    I expect it ticked some boxes on the EYFSP or whatever they call it now.
    For ICT.
    Bring back Real Music.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sounds like you were at my grand daughter's christmas celebration. Did it have a 60s Top of the pops theme?

nomad likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

There certainly seems to be an aversion to traditional Christian carols. What's wrong with a straightforward nativity re-enactment to the accompaniment of carols? Too Christian?
    My littly is doing "Wiggly Nativity", whatever that might be.

nizebaby likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:D

I always assumed that the oddball nativities came from some staff members who are frustrated thespians, writers, producers or whatever they really wanted to be who think tradition is boring and so indulge their weird ideas.

I don't care if someone is bored with putting on the same nativity 25 years in a row, my child might only be in it once or twice, so stuff your fun and edgy modern take with Tigger and some character from Frozen.

nizebaby and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Twerking to Silent Night.

nizebaby, Dunteachin, nomad and 2 others like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've done that one a few times. It has got some jolly songs with words the children can remember but it does stick to the traditional story. No penguins, lobsters or Disney characters.

vannie, Norsemaid, nizebaby and 2 others like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

:eek:

nizebaby and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

There are loads of Nativity playlets out there - all quite cute.
    But anyway, we had traditional carols yesterday, which the kids could not really get their tongues round so we just listened to the recorded music.
    To be fair I could have done that at home and been spared the over amplified reading (poor kid can only have been 5 years old and she read pages and pages, or so it seemed).
    I remember staying late at school, hanging gold foil stars at the back of our school stage for the back drop for our Christmas show, and staying another night late, taking them all down and carefully wrapping them up in bits of cardboard. Music was live and the kids could be heard. All the parents sat in a circle so they could all see, pretty much, and siblings at the front.
    And the kids knew the story and could improvise their lines. That Inn Keeper. What a great performance that was.
    But now it seems, the background can be a computer screen menu!
    A snow scene would have been nice. Or a starry night.
    Just saying you know.
    Mind you, we did have a stable set up in the nursery for the children to act out the story and dress up in the costumes so they were well able to understand the story. And early years Christmas songs - of which there are many.
    Ah well.
    I wanted to do that thing where you cry a little. But the magic was not there.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's perhaps because teachers now stay late in school to do their marking in triplicate, copious lesson plans, recording everything and marking assessments - so they don't have time to hang gold stars.

Amd covering the NC means there's little time to practise songs to performance standard. I bet few primary schools have singing practice once a week these days, let alone practising Christmas songs every day from October half-term!
    :(

10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Yes time pressures are a problem.
    I didn't have time to hang gold stars to be fair. I just did it. Compelled you see.
    Creativity is out of the curriculum that is for sure.

InkyP and nizebaby like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I hate children using microphones, it always sounds wrong.